• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

This isn't what I wanted to cook tonight. I had a fancy for chicken with chestnuts, but the two supermarkets I tried had no chestnuts. Unusual.

Instead I picked up this

5a37a37471acd_xiangluobo.thumb.jpg.8a9d70c7441b34c63eb475e9aa3bfc61.jpg

It's called 香萝卜 xiāng luó bó in Chinese. That means "something like "appetizing radish". It is a large colour reversed radish, red on the inside and whitish-green on the outside. They don't have the peppery nature of the small ones. The one I bought is 8cm (just over 3"") in diameter. If these are as common as bananas where you are, please forgive any sense of my being patronizing - it's just I had never encountered them until I came here in China.

Anyway, I made slow-cooker chicken legs with onions, garlic, bay leaf, mustard and the radish. Served with boiled spuds and a side of spinach to alleviate the redness. Forgot to photograph the spinach, but you know what it looks like. Not red.

red.thumb.jpg.3358616f58fdcef56b1bcc072f306246.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

This isn't what I wanted to cook tonight. I had a fancy for chicken with chestnuts, but the two supermarkets I tried had no chestnuts. Unusual.

Instead I picked up this

It's called 香萝卜 xiāng luó bó in Chinese. That means "something like "appetizing radish". It is a large colour reversed radish, red on the inside and whitish-green on the outside. They don't have the peppery nature of the small ones. The one I bought is 8cm (just over 3"") in diameter. If these are as common as bananas where you are, please forgive any sense of my being patronizing - it's just I had never encountered them until I cam here in China.

Anyway, I made slow-cooker chicken legs with onions, garlic, bay leaf, mustard and the radish. Served with boiled spuds and a side of spinach to alleviate the redness. Forgot to photograph the spinach, but you know what it looks like. Not red.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Instead I picked up this

It's called 香萝卜 xiāng luó bó in Chinese. That means "something like "appetizing radish". It is a large colour reversed radish, red on the inside and whitish-green on the outside. They don't have the peppery nature of the small ones. The one I bought is 8cm (just over 3"") in diameter. If these are as common as bananas where you are, please forgive any sense of being patronizing - it's just I had never encountered them until I cam here in China.