• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

@Norm Matthews thanks for posting the link & recipe. Stuffing shells has always seemed like such a pain to me. I wonder if you could turn this into a lasagna and just use lasagna noodles instead of the shells? Do you think there would be enough "stuff" in this recipe for the layering required of lasagnas?

I am not a fan of fiddy recipes like wontons or stuffing pasta but these jumbo shells are so big that they are easy to fill. It only took 9 or 10 to fill the casserole dish and it took a heaping spoonful to fill each one. I spooned the remainder of the filling over the top before pouring the sauce and cheese on top.  Having said that, I see no problem with using lasagna noodles instead but I doubt the filling would be enough for more than one layer of filling between 2 noodle layers, one on bottom and one on top.

PS another suggestion that might work is to use small shells and not fill them at all but rather just mix them in with the filling and layer the mixture between two layers of sauce and top with the cheese when it's time.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

@Norm Matthews thanks for posting the link & recipe. Stuffing shells has always seemed like such a pain to me. I wonder if you could turn this into a lasagna and just use lasagna noodles instead of the shells? Do you think there would be enough "stuff" in this recipe for the layering required of lasagnas?

I am not a fan of fiddy recipes like wontons or stuffing pasta but these jumbo shells are so big that they are easy to fill. It only took 9 or 10 to fill the casserole dish and it took a heaping spoonful to fill each one. I spooned the remainder of the filling over the top before pouring the sauce and cheese on top.  Having said that, I see no problem with using lasagna noodles instead but I doubt the filling would be enough for more than one layer of filling between 2 noodle layers, one on bottom and one on top.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I am not a fan of fiddy recipes like wontons or stuffing pasta but these jumbo shells are so big that they are easy to fill. It only took 9 or 10 to fill the casserole dish and it took a heaping spoonful to fill each one. I spooned the remainder of the sauce over the top before pouring the sauce and cheese on top.  Having said that, I see no problem with using lasagna noodles instead but I doubt the filling would be enough for more than one layer of filling between 2 noodle layers, one on bottom and one on top.