• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

5 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Delicious-sounding assortment and beautiful decoration.

Just one downside:  I just learned that Valrhona has discontinued Orelys.  I have used it in several of my fillings and am very disappointed. 

Thanks! 
Well, that sucks. I love that stuff 😕

14 minutes ago, RWood said:

Thanks! I colored some white chocolate with Colour Mill Raspberry oil color and pipped them on.

The piping dot on the heart made me think they were piped on, but the symmetry made me think otherwise.  They look so nice. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RWood said:

Thanks! 
Well, that sucks. I love that stuff 😕

I do know a very smart eG member who has figured out the recipe and has made it in a melanger.  A reason enough to get a melanger.  What irritates me is that you just know Valrhona has a warehouse full of the stuff sitting on the banks of the Rhone.  I used it for my pecan pie, cinnamon bun, and more.  My Valrhona supplier suggested I substitute Dulcey, but of course they aren't anywhere near the same.

12 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I do know a very smart eG member who has figured out the recipe and has made it in a melanger.  A reason enough to get a melanger.  What irritates me is that you just know Valrhona has a warehouse full of the stuff sitting on the banks of the Rhone.  I used it for my pecan pie, cinnamon bun, and more.  My Valrhona supplier suggested I substitute Dulcey, but of course they aren't anywhere near the same.

I have a couple things I use it for as well. But, Dulcey won't be the same. I'll have to eek out the 1/2 bag I have left.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I just learned that Valrhona has discontinued Orelys

Really? I really liked it, although I didn't use it much and I can understand it not being a huge seller.

1 minute ago, Rajala said:

Really? I really liked it, although I didn't use it much and I can understand it not being a huge seller.

If you recall, I started using Orelys in your cinnamon bun recipe, a recipe that has been insanely popular.  An eG member has formulated a recipe for making Orelys in a melanger.  I'm thinking of giving it a try.  It will probably end up costing more than a 3kg bag shipped by Valrhona to me (via many in-between people, I am sure), but I will really miss having it.  @Rajala, since you are so close to the Rhone Valley (I know, typical U.S. concept of geography), why don't you make a trip over and find the Orelys warehouse?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 2:00 AM, Altay.Oro said:

How do you brew coffee with dairy?
Is it possible for you to share the ganache recipe with us?

I add instant coffee to the cream and butter as it warms - works great - and you can add a touch of kahlua as well.  

IMG_7092.thumb.jpeg.cdcd2c048228d775801fd17578254b08.jpeg

Valentine's box, this year I went with all of my flavors that were already pink and red instead of re-inventing the wheel.   Ginger, vanilla bean, raspberry, passion fruit, and earl grey. 

• Like 11

On 2/6/2024 at 11:55 PM, Jim D. said:

If you recall, I started using Orelys in your cinnamon bun recipe, a recipe that has been insanely popular.  An eG member has formulated a recipe for making Orelys in a melanger.  I'm thinking of giving it a try.  It will probably end up costing more than a 3kg bag shipped by Valrhona to me (via many in-between people, I am sure), but I will really miss having it.  @Rajala, since you are so close to the Rhone Valley (I know, typical U.S. concept of geography), why don't you make a trip over and find the Orelys warehouse?

It's like 1127 miles to travel to get there :D

On 2/7/2024 at 5:42 AM, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

I add instant coffee to the cream and butter as it warms - works great - and you can add a touch of kahlua as well.  

Thank you, worth to try.

• 3 weeks later...

3 examples of the "dreaded dome"--you know, the mold that looks wonderful in theory, is easy to decorate--and loves to stick to the mold before reluctantly dropping out.  @Kerry Beal once said she thought the dome fit so well in its mold that a sort of suction formed.  Whatever it is, it's a pain.

Fillings are (clockwise from top left:  "cookies & cream," sesame crunch, cherry & almond ganache.

3domes.thumb.jpg.a9c90e3484f9d7b3598c86060baac7d1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

16 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Whatever it is, it's a pain.

Agreed.  I have only a few types. One that shape that is a pain and your hemisphere mold that I have to work with carefully because the piece sometimes wants to come out before I’m ready for it to. Quite the contrast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRiker said:

Agreed.  I have only a few types. One that shape that is a pain and your hemisphere mold that I have to work with carefully because the piece sometimes wants to come out before I’m ready for it to. Quite the contrast. 

Chef Kalle Jungstedt's own mold, which is a somewhat flattened dome, helps prevent the dome's suction effect.  Chocolate World has a similar one but larger.  When I am making something with several layers, those molds tend not to be large enough.

The hemisphere shares the issue you mentioned with all the shallow molds I have--the one often called a quenelle and also egg shapes.  They are a test of one's ability to keep a steady hand when moving the mold--and not tapping the mold too enthusiastically.  They also have another irritating characteristic:  some chocolate often gets between the shell (with any color it has) and the mold when sealing the mold is taking place.  I did learn (I forget where) that a little heating of the mold with a heatgun before sealing the cavities helps prevent that.  I think this melts the top edge enough so that the fluid chocolate can't get behind it.  Ah, what we go through for beauty.

• Like 1