• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville Smart Oven Air

ElsieD

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I used to have a Black and Decker toaster.  It made fine toast. 

Compared to a toaster oven, sure.

Let's put it another way: any toaster generally will make better toast than will a toaster oven.  This for the simple reason that the elements are closer to the bread, making for a faster toast with a moister center.  Better toasters have more "turns" in their resistive wire.

The T-20 and successors judged darkness and shutoff via an early but effective IR sensor.  Most toasters before and after have used a variant of the crude thermal spring.

Edited by Laurentius
Additional fact. (log)
  • Like 1

'  any toaster generally will make better toast than will a toaster oven '

simply not true .

CSO makes the best toast ive ever made .

taste in toast differ 

it also does variable thicknesses 

its not perfect .  I think # 7 is the highest setting .  some toast need a bit longer

it beats out the revile two ways , for my taste :

The Breville used some sort of program  to vary the intensity of the heating elements

CSO does not .  shy turn down the  heating elements ?   leave them on high

]and then time the toast to your doneness liking.

and I prefer the results of a sealed toaster to and open toaster

before the CSO , never knew there would be such a difference.

on the other hand , some don't care for the results in a sealed over.

toast in an actual toaster might e better that breville toast simply because the heating elements dont

adjust in a stand alone toaster .

but ion the end , you have to like the results of any toaster based on your toasty preferences.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

CSO makes the best toast ive ever made .

Again, I hope I'm wrong; I'd love to try toast in a CSO.  But the further away the bread is from the elements, the poorer the general toast outcome, IME.

You're right about individual tastes varying.  Although, there's a large cohort out there that's never toasted in a real toaster.