• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

On 2/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, kayb said:

Y'all go ahead and shoot me, but I raised my kids on tuna noodle casserole. Cook egg noodles; can of drained tuna, can of cream of mushroom soup, handful of grated cheese out of the bag, 12-oz bag of frozen green peas. Stir it all up together, stick it in a casserole dish, bake until bubbly. It was far from wonderful, but it was certainly edible, and the kids loved it. And it was quick, which was a requirement when I was shuttling between band practice, softball practice and a volleyball game. 

I'd eat it today. If I were hungry, and it was all that was handy.

My recipe is quite similar to yours except I add minced onion, celery, cream of celery soup (instead of mushroom),

then a mix of milk, mayo and grated cheese into a sauce.  I also use high quality tuna like Italian packed in oil or Tuna Guys brand.

DH who'd always hated his mother's tuna casserole loved mine.  Me too.  I still make it regularly.

In fact, now that you've mentioned it, I may have to mix some up for dinner it sounds so good!

lindag

lindag

On 2/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, kayb said:

Y'all go ahead and shoot me, but I raised my kids on tuna noodle casserole. Cook egg noodles; can of drained tuna, can of cream of mushroom soup, handful of grated cheese out of the bag, 12-oz bag of frozen green peas. Stir it all up together, stick it in a casserole dish, bake until bubbly. It was far from wonderful, but it was certainly edible, and the kids loved it. And it was quick, which was a requirement when I was shuttling between band practice, softball practice and a volleyball game. 

I'd eat it today. If I were hungry, and it was all that was handy.

My recipe is quite similar to yours except I add minced onion, celery, cream of celery soup (instead of mushroom),

then a mix of milk, mayo and grated cheese into a sauce.

DH who'd always hated his mother's tuna casserole loved mine.  Me too.  I still make it regularly.

In fact, now that you've mentioned it, I may have to mix some up for dinner it sounds so good!