• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

typos

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 PM, Smithy said:

I went through a phase like that, then lapsed back into my beloved lemon vinaigrette.  While I was experimenting, I discovered that (for my tastes) walnut oil and balsamic dressing were downright magical.  How about you?  What favorite oil/vinegar combinations have you discovered? What might you do with a smoked oil?

I'm not fond of the dark balsamic vinegar on leafy greens but I do like it on tomatoes and cucumber.  The white balsamic I have is very nice with walnut oil or the pumpkin seed oil my brother brought me back from Austria, I think it was.  Very dark green.  I like a little lemon oil, olive oil with white wine vinegar.  The classic red wine vinegar with shallots and olive oil along with a  pinch of onion powder.  Spanish sherry vinegar is nice and sharp and I stumbled upon some of it in a reduced version which is lovely just drizzled over the top of the salad greens dressed in a little oil. For cucumbers I like sesame oil with soy sauce and some chili oil and I think the smoked oil would go well with that.  The smoked oil would be good with lemon juice over tomatoes or grilled romaine.  Just a few combos I have been using.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 PM, Smithy said:

I went through a phase like that, then lapsed back into my beloved lemon vinaigrette.  While I was experimenting, I discovered that (for my tastes) walnut oil and balsamic dressing were downright magical.  How about you?  What favorite oil/vinegar combinations have you discovered? What might you do with a smoked oil?

I'm not found of the dark balsamic vinegar on leafy greens but I do like it on tomatoes and cucumber.  The white balsamic I have is very nice with walnut oil or the pumpkin seed oil my brother brought me back from Austria I think it was.  Very dark green.  I like a little lemon oil, olive oil with white wine vinegar.  The classic red wine vinegar with shallots and olive oil along with a  pinch of onion powder.  Spanish sherry vinegar is nice and sharp and I stumbled upon some of it in a reduced version which is lovely just drizzled over the top of the salad green. For cucumbers I like sesame oil with soy sauce and some chill oil and I think the smoked oil would go well with that.  The smoked oil would be good with lemon juice over tomatoes or grilled romaine.  Just a few combos I have been using.