• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

On 3/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, KennethT said:

My wife brought this back from Tokaji in Hungary:

PXL_20230319_185057843.thumb.jpg.9f8e73e8db2428343ece4331fe5f4041.jpg

Too bad she couldn't bring back a bottle of Oremus!!

But what are you making with the paprika? "édes" means sweet paprika. Only add, generous amounts, paprika to hot fat and briefly to prevent bitterness and turning brown.

I spent the last 2 weeks of December 2016 in Hungary. The final days of the year were in Tokay ("Toe-Koi", like French "moi". At least it sounded like that when I ask Hungarians to pronounce the word so I could hear it).

Train station
XdgozJ3.jpg

Road block, Tokaj style.
jJb6QD8.jpg

It was so cold in Hungary that winter. -7C to -10C every day. We ate warming gouyash a few times, both beef and fish versions. The following photos of gouyash were taken in Tokaj.
oM2HdBZ.jpg

csESD0X.jpg

bK7QUBc.jpg

The fish gouyash were for the partner. I only had a tity taste each time (most freshwater fish taste swampy to me 🤢).
qVYrAfo.jpg

Tokaj is a small wine producing town. We were probably the only 2 (non Hungarian/Eastern) tourists round that time of year. It's so dead in the winter.
FQ3ryr8.jpg

Only a handful of wine tasting places were open and we made the most of it. Excellent Furmint and other Hungarian native grape varietals you almost never see outside Hungary.
BcIOu9a.jpg

Would love to return to Hungary. Good wines and hearty food.

SUM3bSy.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

On 3/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, KennethT said:

My wife brought this back from Tokaji in Hungary:

PXL_20230319_185057843.thumb.jpg.9f8e73e8db2428343ece4331fe5f4041.jpg

Too bad she couldn't bring back a bottle of Oremus!!

But what are you making with the paprika? "édes" means sweet paprika. Only add, generous amounts, paprika to hot fat and briefly to prevent bitterness and turning brown.

I spent the last 2 weeks of December 2016 in Hungary. The final days of the year were in Tokay ("Toe-Koi", like French "moi". At least it sounded like that when I ask Hungarians how to pronounce the word).

Train station
XdgozJ3.jpg

Road block, Tokaj style.
jJb6QD8.jpg

It was so cold in Hungary that winter. -7C to -10C every day. We ate warming gouyash a few times, both beef and fish versions. The following photos of gouyash were taken in Tokaj.
oM2HdBZ.jpg

csESD0X.jpg

bK7QUBc.jpg

The fish gouyash were for the partner. I only had a tity taste each time (most freshwater fish taste swampy to me 🤢).
qVYrAfo.jpg

Tokaj is a small wine producing town. We were probably the only 2 (non Hungarian/Eastern) tourists round that time of year. It's so dead in the winter.
FQ3ryr8.jpg

Only a handful of wine tasting places were open and we made the most of it. Excellent Furmint and other Hungarian native grape varietals you almost never see outside Hungary.
BcIOu9a.jpg

Would love to return to Hungary. Good wines and hearty food.

SUM3bSy.jpg