• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

31 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A totally different angle:    In these days of sequestration, limited exposure to outside experiences, what is the protocol for offering food to people outside your bubble?    We don't consume food cooked outside our home, aka any kind of take out.    How do you offer food to others who may be similarly restricting their food?

Reason for asking, we made peach ice cream today and considered taking a pint to neighbors down the hill.   We know they are being very conscientious about exposure.    We worry that even if we express our understanding and general agreement of their concerns, they might feel the need to accept and the toss it.

Thoughts?

After a while of not sharing, I've been giving out popsicles again.  I ask in advance and say that I completely understand if they'd rather take a rain check on a future batch.  I'll usually text a photo of the pops and ask if they'd like some.  We coordinate a masked hand-off via text. 

I wouldn't surprise anyone by showing up at their door or dropping off an unexpected package. 

A lot of my friends are scientists and understand this is a respiratory virus so contracting it through food isn't an enormous risk. 

They've all eaten my food before so they trust that I'm using appropriate kitchen hygiene. 

I've been sticking to cooking my own food and haven't done any take-out either, saving my splurges for indulgent ingredients.  I wouldn't hesitate to accept reciprocal offers of food from friends.  Especially peach ice cream!

Bottom line:  If the choice you offer is now or later rather than yes or no, I think you'll avoid having anyone accept and toss.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

30 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A totally different angle:    In these days of sequestration, limited exposure to outside experiences, what is the protocol for offering food to people outside your bubble?    We don't consume food cooked outside our home, aka any kind of take out.    How do you offer food to others who may be similarly restricting their food?

Reason for asking, we made peach ice cream today and considered taking a pint to neighbors down the hill.   We know they are being very conscientious about exposure.    We worry that even if we express our understanding and general agreement of their concerns, they might feel the need to accept and the toss it.

Thoughts?

After a while of not sharing, I've been giving out popsicles again.  I ask in advance and say that I completely understand if they'd rather take a rain check on a future batch.  I'll usually text a photo of the pops and ask if they'd like some.  We coordinate a masked hand-off via text. 

I wouldn't surprise anyone by showing up at their door or dropping off an unexpected package. 

A lot of my friends are scientists and understand this is a respiratory virus so contracting it through food isn't an enormous risk. 

They've all eaten my food before so they trust that I'm using appropriate kitchen hygiene. 

I've been sticking to cooking my own food and haven't done any take-out either, saving my splurges for indulgent ingredients.  I wouldn't hesitate to accept reciprocal offers of food from friends.  Especially peach ice cream!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

17 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Thoughts?

After a while of not sharing, I've been giving out popsicles again.  I ask in advance and say that I completely understand if they'd rather take a rain check on a future batch.  I'll usually text a photo of the pops and and if they'd like some.  We coordinate a masked hand-off via text.