• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add photo of stewed tomato jar

On 8/17/2017 at 3:52 PM, kayb said:

I commend to you the eggs baked in stewed tomatoes. I didn't have country ham but I had proscuitto, which I laid out on parchment on a cookie sheet and baked until it was crispy, for the ham chips on top. Marvelous.

Following @kayb's recommendation, I made the Stewed Tomatoes (p 270) and used them in the Stewed Tomato Shirred Eggs with Ham Chips (p 55)

IMG_5995.thumb.jpg.8fb12a286c01e59a6da6a2a40b9d7c0d.jpg

I completely concur with her recommendation.  I also used the recommended substitution of prosciutto instead of country ham.  Aside from my usual difficulty of overcooked yolks in baked eggs, this was excellent!  

My prosciutto took about 20 min to reach that shatteringly crisp stage vs the 12-15 min in the book.  And the eggs were more cooked than I wanted when I checked them at 7 min into the 10-12 min cooking time, maybe because I used steam-bake in the CSO instead of a regular oven.  

The stewed tomatoes taste great. This recipe absolutely shows off the flavors of good summertime tomatoes.  I peeled the tomatoes (not mentioned in the recipe) and diced them (per the recipe) and since I had lovely ripe tomatoes, they pretty much disintegrated into a chunky sauce.  Next time, I may dice a few and leave some in larger chunks. Or not - it's a nice sauce, just not exactly what I expected.  

You can tell in the jar that I used a mix of yellow and red tomatoes:

IMG_5996.thumb.jpg.fa140df68528f6d1a5890148e9e37e76.jpg

I'm tempted to try a batch with just yellow tomatoes although yellow tomato stuff sometimes looks insipid instead of special!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 8/17/2017 at 3:52 PM, kayb said:

I commend to you the eggs baked in stewed tomatoes. I didn't have country ham but I had proscuitto, which I laid out on parchment on a cookie sheet and baked until it was crispy, for the ham chips on top. Marvelous.

Following @kayb's recommendation, I made the Stewed Tomatoes (p 270) and used them in the Stewed Tomato Shirred Eggs with Ham Chips (p 55)

IMG_5995.thumb.jpg.8fb12a286c01e59a6da6a2a40b9d7c0d.jpg

I completely concur with her recommendation.  I also used the recommended substitution of prosciutto instead of country ham.  Aside from my usual difficulty of overcooked yolks in baked eggs, this was excellent!  

My prosciutto took about 20 min to reach that shatteringly crisp stage vs the 12-15 min in the book.  And the eggs were more cooked than I wanted when I checked them at 7 min into the 10-12 min cooking time, maybe because I used steam-bake in the CSO instead of a regular oven.  

The stewed tomatoes taste great. This recipe absolutely shows off the flavors of good summertime tomatoes.  I peeled the tomatoes (not mentioned in the recipe) and diced them (per the recipe) and since I had lovely ripe tomatoes, they pretty much disintegrated into a chunky sauce.  Next time, I may dice a few and leave some in larger chunks. Or not - it's a nice sauce, just not exactly what I expected.