• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen gadgets needed to give as gifts

gfweb

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Well now, darn it all, you've got me lusting after those spoons, particularly the egg one.  What were the shipping charges like?

They were a gift. Came without a receipt or shipping charges. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks like Anna fell for the BAE.

Here's a link to the thread on the Dalton-Ruhlman line of products, including the spoons.

Shipping prices are high, but Ruhlman has said that they're "working on that" (but nothing has changed). In any event, it's best to wait until they're running a promo. Unfortunately, those are mostly around Black Friday/Christmas, but they usually run one for Mother's Day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N I didn't read your post as carefully as I should have or I wouldn't have asked the question.  @blue_dolphin has answered the question and I don't guess I'll be getting one either.  $18 shipping is a lot.

I don't think that I would have considered buying them myself.   Even on sale they would set you back quite a chunk of cash but I am incredibly impressed with them. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

damm    I do like those spoons.   Id get the slotted and one of the set of 4  ( the large one ) if they ever went on sale again.

shipping charge is enough to put me off ....

however , if there is a sale , Id like to hear about it 

sort of .

I guess i should be glad they aren't sold near by so I could fondle them first.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The BAE spoon by itself is not available, so says the web site.  I checked out the shipping costs for the spoon set to have it shipped to my niece in NY state and it would cost $14.15.  When I do a conversion to Canadian dollars for the spoons plus shipping, it amounts to around $60 and that assumes no duty charges.  So, no spoons for me.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

The BAE spoon by itself is not available, so says the web site.  I checked out the shipping costs for the spoon set to have it shipped to my niece in NY state and it would cost $14.15.  When I do a conversion to Canadian dollars for the spoons plus shipping, it amounts to around $60 and that assumes no duty charges.  So, no spoons for me.

I hear you and I am sure I would have made the same decision had I not had a chance to use them. $60 sounds like a ridiculous amount to pay for a few spoons. But they will probably outlive both of us. They do the job they're designed to do and if I look around my kitchen I can see all sorts of things that cost as much or more and do not function as efficiently as they should. If I wanted to replace a single dinner plate in my Wedgewood set it would set me back considerably more than $60.  I have paid much more than that for a single chef's knife. So as with everything it's a matter of priorities.   I was very, very lucky to receive them as a gift.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

for the BAE and the three spoons shipped to me would be $ 15.47

something is wrong w their pricing system so Ill wait for the next sale and get by w what have.

I get 20 lbs of green coffee shipped to me from CA  ( max UPS zones ) for 8.99./