• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

5 hours ago, billyhill said:

I was wondering when I read your original post about rattlesnake beans if we were talking about the same variety. The one I raised is a dual purpose pole bean good for snap beans or shelling. Mottled green and sort of purplish pods. Sound familiar?

I usually.got seeds from Baker's creek/RareSeeds.com.

Looks like they might be the same.

The dried beans I bought for several years from Purcell Mountain Farms were a brownish mottled bean, deeper in color than a pinto.. The one time I found the fresh ones in the pod the pods were perhaps a mottled greenish color but I don't remember well. When cooked everything about them was perfect: they held their shape, the pot likker was dark and flavorful, and the beans  held their shape and were delicious. My gardening days are barely visible in the rear view mirror.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

5 hours ago, billyhill said:

I was wondering when I read your original post about rattlesnake beans if we were talking about the same variety. The one I raised is a dual purpose pole bean good for snap beans or shelling. Mottled green and sort of purplish pods. Sound familiar?

I usually.got seeds from Baker's creek/RareSeeds.com.

Looks like they might be the same.

The dried beans I bought for several years from Purcell Mountain Farms were a brownish mottled bean, deeper in color than a pinto.. The one time I found the fresh ones in the pod the pods were perhaps a mottled greenish color but I don't remember well. My gardening days are barely visible in the rear view mirror.