• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

1 hour ago, Wild_Yeast said:

@huiray Honestly I didn't know there were other types? I just know the one I grew up with, I assume it's Hokkien coz that's what my moms side. Rich, semi dark broth with the deep Chinese herbs flavor, button mushrooms, tender riblets, tofu pok, lots of garlic and pan wilted lettuce leaves. Then eat with rice drizzled with oil where the shallots were fried and topped with more fried shallots. Pretty much looks like your picture. Heh

Ah. :)

Well, for myself I recognize four main types as it relates to Malaysia and Singapore – Hokkien (herbal, dark soy sauce added), Canto-Hoklo (even more herbal w/ more stuff than the "just Hokkien" version, and with oyster sauce etc added in), Klang (somewhat like Canto-Hoklo/Hokkien but with greatly reduced liquid, almost a sauce rather than soup)**, and Teochew (very lightly herbal or not at all but with vast amounts of pepper (usually white)). In Singapore the two main categories would amount to Teochew vs Hokkien. In M'sia the main versions would be Klang vs Canto-Hoklo, in my recollections, at least at the time I grew up in SE Asia, but all four types were found and it depended on which stall or shop you went to. I believe the BKT in Thailand and Java/Indonesia would also be slightly different but I am not sure of how they differ. (Although the Thai-Chinese in Thailand would largely be Teochew; whilst the Indonesian-Chinese often would be of Hakka extraction...(closer to Hokkien?))

** and which I associate with including luo han guo (Momordica grosvenorii/Siraitia grosvenorii) in the panoply of stuff added in - or at least the shops in Klang that I would be brought to by my father when visiting Klang and we had BKT there...)

If you are interested a simple google search for this dish will return more than a million results for one to browse through. The Wikipedia article isn't a bad one to look at too.

There are old threads on BKT even here on eG – here is an old one, where the OP THREW AWAY THE SOUP!!!!! (I lost my eyebrows when I first read about that a couple years ago)

I have posted several times here on different iterations of the dish, both "stripped-down"/basic spiced ones, Teochew ones, full-on Canto-Hoklo ones, and more subdued Hokkien-like ones. As examples, see here, here, here, here, here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here. There are others. The simple-spiced one (just star anise, cinnamon/cassia, cloves, garlic) might be the most approachable one for folks not used to herbal soups but who wish for a bit more complexity. Mind you, cinnamon/cassia in savory dishes is still, to this day, frowned on by many folks who cook in the Western idiom. ;)

I haven't used the commercially available BKT packages (from Chinese groceries) for years. I assemble my desired mixture of herbs and spices and what-not myself (yes, I keep and replenish supplies of the herbs/spices used) and vary them according to my mood.

FWIW, what I added in for the BKT I posted about above included: Angelica sinensis, Codonopsis pilosula, Polygonatum odoratum, black cardamom, whole cloves, cassia sticks, whole star anise, double-fermented soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, rock sugar (I was out of dried longan flesh), dried tangerine peel; as well as the pork baby-back ribs, tau pok, Music garlic.

huiray

huiray

@huiray Honestly I didn't know there were other types? I just know the one I grew up with, I assume it's Hokkien coz that's what my moms side. Rich, semi dark broth with the deep Chinese herbs flavor, button mushrooms, tender riblets, tofu pok, lots of garlic and pan wilted lettuce leaves. Then eat with rice drizzled with oil where the shallots were fried and topped with more fried shallots. Pretty much looks like your picture. Heh

Well, for myself I recognize four main types as it relates to Malaysia and Singapore – Hokkien (herbal, dark soy sauce added), Canto-Hoklo (even more herbal w/ more stuff than the "just Hokkien" version, and with oyster sauce etc added in), Klang (somewhat like Canto-Hoklo/Hokkien but with greatly reduced liquid, almost a sauce rather than soup)**, and Teochew (very lightly herbal or not al all but with vast amounts of pepper (usually white)). In Singapore the two main categories would amount to Teochew vs Hokkien. In M'sia the main versions would be Klang vs Canto-Hoklo, in my recollections, at least at the time I grew up in SE Asia, but all four types were found and it depended on which stall or shop you went to. I believe the BKT in Thailand and Java/Indonesia would also be slightly different but I am not sure of how they differ. (Although the Thai-Chinese in Thailand would largely be Teochew; whilst the Indonesian-Chinese often would be of Hakka extraction...(closer to Hokkien?))

** and which I associate with including luo han guo (Momordica grosvenorii/Siraitia grosvenorii) in the panoply of stuff added in - or at least the shops in Klang that I would be brought to by my father when visiting Klang and we had BKT there...)

If you are interested a simple google search for this dish will return more than a million results for one to browse through. The Wikipedia article isn't a bad one to look at too.

There are old threads on BKT even here on eG – here is an old one, where the OP THREW AWAY THE SOUP!!!!! (I lost my eyebrows when I first read about that a couple years ago)

I have posted several times here on different iterations of the dish, both "stripped-down"/basic spiced ones, Teochew ones, full-on Canto-Hoklo ones, and more subdued Hokkien-like ones. As examples, see here, here, here, here, here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here. There are others. The simple-spiced one (just star anise, cinnamon/cassia, cloves, garlic) might be the most approachable one for folks not used to herbal soups but who wish for a bit more complexity. Mind you, cinnamon/cassia in savory dishes is still, to this day, frowned on by many folks who cook in the Western idiom. ;)

I haven't used the commercially available BKT packages (from Chinese groceries) for years. I assemble my desired mixture of herbs and spices and what-not myself (yes, I keep and replenish supplies of the herbs/spices used) and vary them according to my mood.

FWIW, what I added in for the BKT I posted about above included: Angelica sinensis, Codonopsis pilosula, Polygonatum odoratum, black cardamom, whole cloves, cassia sticks, whole star anise, double-fermented soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, rock sugar (I was out of dried longan flesh), dried tangerine peel; as well as the pork baby-back ribs, tau pok, Music garlic.

huiray

huiray

Well, for myself I recognize four main types as it relates to Malaysia and Singapore – Hokkien (herbal, dark soy sauce added), Canto-Hoklo (even more herbal w/ more stuff than the "just Hokkien" version, and with oyster sauce etc added in), Klang (somewhat like Canto-Hoklo/Hokkien but with greatly reduced liquid, almost a sauce rather than soup)**, and Teochew (very lightly herbal or not al all but with vast amounts of pepper (usually white)). In Singapore the two main categories would amount to Teochew vs Hokkien. In M'sia the main versions would be Klang vs Canto-Hoklo, in my recollections, at least at the time I grew up in SE Asia, but all four types were found and it depended on which stall or shop you went to. I believe the BKT in Thailand and Java/Indonesia would also be slightly different but I am not sure of how they differ. (Although the Thai-Chinese in Thailand would largely be Teochew; whilst the Indonesian-Chinese often would be of Hakka extraction...(closer to Hokkien?))

huiray

huiray

16 minutes ago, Wild_Yeast said:

There are old threads on BKT even here on eG – here is an old one, where the OP THREW AWAY THE SOUP!!!!! ((I faint))

I have posted several times here on different iterations of the dish, both "stripped-down"/basic spiced ones, Teochew ones, full-on Canto-Hoklo ones, and more subdued Hokkien-like ones. As examples, see here, here, here, here, here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here (scroll down), here. There are others.