• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

@EvergreenDan thanks for replying, to be honest, I was stocking for myself, but I'm open to new suggestions. Posting my liquor cabinet made me realize how sorely lacking I am in the whiskey and tequila department, which is ok by me, but not ok for guests, as they're are more likely to ask for whiskey than Creme de Violette. I got the Rittenhouse Rye mainly to round out my collection and it has great reviews everywhere.

Campari seems to be the new bourbon, everyone is into it and everyone makes drinks with it. You can't go to a high-end restaurant nowadays without seeing a Negroni on the menu. I'm trying to get used to it and see what the hype is about, but I don't dig Amaros yet. Is it fair to categorize them all as Amaros?

I do have a Martini and Rossi Dry Vermouth, unopened, but I might toss it and get a Dolin. But seeing that my vermouth isn't even opened yet, this is further down the list.

I'm trying to work through my cabinet (this may take a long time) and get rid of my more commercialized liquors and only buy recommended brands from cocktail books, I'll get there. I can't just throw everything down the sink, it's not my nature.

I think my next purchase will be Cointreau 750ml. It's time to upgrade. After that I'll see about getting another Amaro, the Punt e Mes sounds interesting, as does a Mezcal. 

Thanks for replying! And Smokey refers to my dog, not some recreational past time, although there's nothing wrong with that. ^_^

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

@EvergreenDan thanks for replying, to be honest, I was stocking for myself, but I'm open to new suggestions. Posting my liquor cabinet made me realize how sorely lacking I am in the whiskey and tequila department, which is ok by me, but not ok for guests, as they're are more likely to ask for whiskey than Creme de Violette. I got the Rittenhouse Rye mainly to round out my collection and it has great reviews everywhere.

Campari seems to be the new bourbon, everyone is into it and everyone makes drinks with it. You can't go to a high-end restaurant nowadays without seeing a Negroni on the menu. I'm trying to get used to it and see what the hype is about, but I don't dig Amaros yet. Is it fair to categorize them all as Amaros?

I do have a Martini and Rossi Dry Vermouth, unopened, but I might toss it and get a Dolin. But seeing that my vermouth isn't even opened yet, this is further down the list.

I'm trying to work through my cabinet (this may take a long time) and get rid of my more commercialized liquors and only buy recommended brands from cocktail books, I'll get there. I can't just throw everything down the sink, it's not my nature.

I think my next purchase will be Cointreau 750ml. It's time to upgrade. After that I'll see about getting another Amaro, the Punt e Mes sounds interesting, as does a Mezcal. 

Thanks for replying!