• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sabji Days" like "Salad Days"

Bhukhhad

1 hour ago, Bhukhhad said:

Methi with fruits? Sorry I did not quite understand. Methi is Fenugreek.  Usually we add them as pickling spices and it is unusual to add them to fruit. I have put them here only to pickle the plums

Bhukhhad

Well, plums are fruit, aren't they? I also use them in a mango relish, I make. I know methi is fenugreek. In fact, I said so.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, plums are fruit, aren't they. I also use them in a mango relish, I make. I know methi is fenugreek. In fact, I said so.

Liuzhou

Hi there. I read your response but somehow I still have not managed to convey myself correctly. 

What I meant to say is that methi is a bitter seed and in indian pickles it had been added to the ' pickling spices' for that bitterness to offset the sour and salty. Thats primarily why it is used in mango pickle or here where I have used it for plums. But the 'pickling' part is the common denomenator along with the sourness. So I was surprised with the sentence saying it was good with fruit. In my mind I was thinking of other cultures where methi could be used with melons or strawberries or something else. Not having come across this myself, it was hard to imagine. 

This is why I asked 'methi with fruits'? 

Did I offend you somehow? It certainly was not my intent. I'm just having a discussion over methi. Please that there is interest.

Bhukhhad

1 minute ago, Bhukhhad said:

Did I offend you somehow?

Not in the slightest.

Yes, fenugreek seeds or leaves are bitter. Sometimes, bitterness can also work with sweet. As I said, I use them in a mango relish along with other spices. The relish is sweet, spicy, and only very slightly bitter - a taste combination I like. I've also used with with peaches when I couldn't get decent mangoes.

I don't use them that often as they are difficult to source here.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

What is more bitter than unadulterated chocolate/cocoa? Well a bunch of stuff, but you get my meaning. Chocolate is almost always adulterated with sweet and pairs well with many fruits, IMO. The balance between sweet, bitter, salty, sour and spicy makes my world turn. :)

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <