• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

2 hours ago, pastryani said:

The first vegetable ("bottle gourd") is called "laukhi" in Hindi.  You can make it as a vegetable="curry"="sabzi", or along with lentils like this:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/lauki-chana-dal-curry-recipe/

I haven't made the second one, and bitter melon lives up to its name and is far too bitter for me no matter how it's prepared.  It really is an acquired taste.

Btw, you don't need an idly mold to make idlys.  If you have small metal bowls and a steamer setup that would work too (just not as pretty).  The batters work pretty well, but try to avoid a container that's bursting at the seams as that means it's over-fermented. :)

Thank you very much for this links on the recipes for laukhi/dudhi/bottle gourd, and also for the advice on bitter melon. Also for your recommendation for idly prep. I have stainless ramekins and a stainless expandable steamer I can put into a variety of my stainless pots. Perhaps some of my small glass prep/serving bowls might also work in the lower temps in a steamer, and result in a similarly shaped product to the traditional equipment. So I really appreciate all of your interesting ideas.

I did think that all fermented products continued to produce gases, so if you care to expand on your thoughts about a bulging container being a reject, I would read with interest. I would not be surprised if employees came around to "burp" these tightly sealed Chinese takeout style quart containers periodically. I know I can't throw a yeast dough for fermentation in one, because it will pop the seal every time. 

@huirayhas already kindly advised me that the kind of bitter melon/gourd I can get is extremely bitter. @Lisa Shock, also mentioned that it must be sliced very thinly and pre-soaked to remove some of the bitterness. Hmm... If yer skeered, just say yer skeerd. xD

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

1 hour ago, pastryani said:

The first vegetable ("bottle gourd") is called "laukhi" in Hindi.  You can make it as a vegetable="curry"="sabzi", or along with lentils like this:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/lauki-chana-dal-curry-recipe/

I haven't made the second one, and bitter melon lives up to its name and is far too bitter for me no matter how it's prepared.  It really is an acquired taste.

Btw, you don't need an idly mold to make idlys.  If you have small metal bowls and a steamer setup that would work too (just not as pretty).  The batters work pretty well, but try to avoid a container that's bursting at the seams as that means it's over-fermented. :)

Thank you very much for this links on the recipes for laukhi/dudhi/bottle gourd, and also for the advice on bitter melon. Also for your recommendation for idly prep. I have stainless ramekins and a stainless expandable steamer I can put into a variety of my stainless pots. Perhaps some of my small glass prep/serving bowls might also work in the lower temps in a steamer, and result in a similarly shaped product to the traditional equipment. So I really appreciate all of your interesting ideas.

I did think that all fermented products continued to produce gases, so if you care to expand on your thoughts about a bulging container being a reject, I would read with interest. I would not be surprised if employees came around to "burp" these tightly sealed Chinese takeout style quart containers periodically. I know I can't throw a yeast dough for fermentation in one, because it will pop the seal every time. 

@huirayhas already kindly advised me that the kind I can get is extremely bitter. @Lisa Shock, also mentioned that it must be sliced very thinly and pre-soaked to remove some of the bitterness. Hmm... If yer skeered, just say yer skeerd. xD