• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for donating equipment locally?

My sister recently died and she was an award winning cake decorator.  She won several awards and ribbons for her creations.  I now need to dispose of all of her cake decorating supplies.  She had dozens of cake pans, cake boxes, cake bottom rounds, and other cake supplies to many to list.  

My dilemma is how to donate these supplies n a kindly manner?  I do not want to just trash them or call Salvation Army.  I know there are many organizations that would truly appreciate receiving these items but I have no idea how to find these organizations.  I thought perhaps a Junior College that teaches baking, or perhaps an organization that trains less fortunate persons a career.  

Does anyone have any ideas of how these items may find a new home?  My sister lived in Huntington Beach, California.  Your help is really needed and appreciated.

• Like 1

Id consider finding a Church that has a large kitchen and uses that kitchen for not only Church affairs, but sometimes for baking things that they then

raffle off or donate to food banks.

id take your time and try to keep all the things together.

One church might know another and get  you on thee right path.

Thank you for your reply.  I am open to all ideas and will certainly consider yours.  My problem is that I live in Florida and my sister lived in SoCal.  That's why I am looking for ideas as I am not local to the things to be donated.

thanks again!

So sorry to hear you lost your sister. :( Can't really help other than to echo most of the ideas above, but, I can commiserate about the difficulties in trying to administer an estate like that long distance. Good luck.

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss.

Some United Ways will act as a sort of broker between a donor of items and the agencies that can put them to best use. You might consider calling the United Way in Orange County, CA to see if they offer this kind of assistance.

Patty