• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil Blend

Shel_B

Earlier this month I spent about a week in Scottsdale, AZ, and we went to a few very nice restaurants.  One had a dish I particularly liked, and I asked for, and received, the recipe, which was emailed to me a few days ago.  One of the ingredients was described as "olive oil blend."  Anybody have an idea what that might be?  I'm thinking olive oil plus some other vegetable oil, yes?

... Shel

33 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

One of the ingredients was described as "olive oil blend."  Anybody have an idea what that might be?  I'm thinking olive oil plus some other vegetable oil, yes?

Your thinking is correct.  Olive oil blends are a mix of olive oil and another vegetable oil. 

I usually use such a mixture in salad dressings or mayo where the flavor of pure extra virgin olive oil is too strong.  But I do that by adding the right amount of EVOO to the neutral oil of my choice rather than using a purchased blend where it can be difficult to know what's really in the bottle.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Your thinking is correct.  Olive oil blends are a mix of olive oil and another vegetable oil. 

I usually use such a mixture in salad dressings or mayo where the flavor of pure extra virgin olive oil is too strong.  But I do that by adding the right amount of EVOO to the neutral oil of my choice rather than using a purchased blend where it can be difficult to know what's really in the bottle.

Thanks for confirming that.  I'd make my own blend with oils of my choosing.

... Shel

I think BD has it right.

commercially, this is the standard industrial view that wishes to sell something with ingredient costs are cheaper, for more money.

Im assuming the restaurant who's dishes you enjoyed made their own to mute a full flavor of a good olive oil.

25 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I recently got some Genco olive oil blend in a gallon can at an asian market. It was not expensive, tasted good and I used it for cooking. I'll pick up some more next time I go. 

I couldn't see myself doing that.  There are several very good olive oils in my cupboard as well as some excellent vegetable oils.  It's much simpler to make my own blend both because there's no need to store another bottle/can of oil here (especially one of unknown quality and provenance) and the amount of blended oil I'd use in a year would be very small.

... Shel

I didn't realize it was a blend until I got home and looked at the label more closely. I got it, initially, because it was the brand in the Godfather movie and got it for the fun of it,  plus we were using a lot of oil so got a big can because it was economical.   We liked it's mild flavor and so I would not be opposed to getting it again. 

Olive Oil Blend. Ugh! One of our local pizzerias in has destroyed their food and reputation, in my opinion, by using a canola oil/olive oil blend in some of their products.

I can't stand nasty canola oil in any amount! Yuck! :wacko:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I have an olive oil and sunflower blend which I only use to make mayonnaise.  EVOO is too powerful for mayo. This blend works just right for me.

blends.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have the same issue with olive oil. Sometimes it is just too overwhelming.  If Norm has found a blend he likes all power to him.   It may not be for everyone but he knows what he likes and I think that's all that counts.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog