• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 3)

rotuts

GlorifiedRice, have you ever seen the overheat function kick in on the IP?

I'm just thinking about that as the only time I've gotten near that amount of stuck on ness (and it was no means as bad as that) was when I was cooking a tomato based chili and it wouldn't go up to pressure because the base kept on overheating. I'm thinking if the overheat warning hadn't kicked in I might have gotten a horrible mess. If you've never seen the overheat function it might be the problem is that the IP's overheat function isn't working, rather than the pot?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Eggs fresh from the fridge, 21 min on steam at 210 F.  Posted here:

Thanks, I read the link. Did you put them on/in the pan that came with the oven, and did you use the rack? 

19 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

Thanks, I read the link. Did you put them on/in the pan that came with the oven, and did you use the rack? 

I remember trying to decide what would be most similar to the "perforated pan" that the oven the linked manual came with and trying various steamer inserts that I had around.  If I recall, I put the eggs on this steamer rackir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00BM28O6 and placed it on the oven rack, no pan.

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, although if an egg happened to explode, it could make for an annoying mess to clean out of the oven!

That's true and I have had some explosions. I have been trying to figure out if the explosions are occurring in eggs that have inapparent pre-existing damage or are from collisions during the cooking process. Twice I used bamboo skewers to keep eggs from bumping while cooking and had no explosions either time. Of course with N=2 it could easily be a coincidence.

Ive always used a push-pin on the flatter side of the egg where the air-sack is

never had an explosion nor a split.

Ive place the eggs in the CSB on the rack over the drip pan.

Ive cooked a doz at a time , and found some temps and times that gave me a yolk that was ready to whisk w melted butter to make

hollandaise etc right from the refrig.   butter was just melted and warm

Host's note: this topic is continued in Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4).

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)