• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Health Checks from the Bergen Record

Rosie

Han Il Kwan in Fort Lee is a really clean restaurant. It had to be something stupid.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They never completely tell you exactly what the violations are, though. Frequently its something stupid like a water leak or boxes of stuff are stored "improperly". Box of something left open, whatever.

If the Bergen health department wanted to really disseminate useful information they would say precisely what the violation was and we could make better informed decisions.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, Felice in Oradell already..... and they're only open a couple of months!!

I think EVERY restaurant gets "pinched" after they open. Saigon Republic did too, and the health inspectors actually EAT there.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe the Hasbrouck Heights Exxon got a conditional. I tried to get a reservation there for Valentine's Day but they were already booked. Now I am glad I couldn't get in.

Went to the Lodi Sunoco instead. Had a great Truck Stop Cheeseburger that was microwaved perfectly. The side of Wise Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips was sublime. Washed it down with a 20oz. Diet Pepsi from a supreme soft drink distributor in the Hudson Valley region of New York.

I would highly recommend this place.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

i usually don't get too worked up over these things, but i would think that soap is a pretty standard item to have at a sink. if they don't care enough to sort that out...

hey, are these things surprise visits?

I assume so. The health inspector doesn't call a restaurant and say I'm coming in tomorrow at 10 AM!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Anyone been to South City Grill, Rochelle Park?

I've been there at least 3 times and the food has always been very good, especially the seared tuna with noodles.

It's not about the food being good. I've eaten at the Mountain Lakes and Jersey City restaurants and both were very good. The problem is no one wants to get any of those nasty diseases that come from poor sanitation or someone not washing their hands.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

True. I should have said, "I've eaten there 3 times and as far as I know I'm still disease free!"

you and me both. i've had my tongue in places that the NJ department of health would clearly not give the "thumbs up" to, and i seem to be relatively healthy.

like i say, i don't give this stuff too much thought.