• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Health Checks from the Bergen Record

Rosie

Yes.... very nice response and if I was still living in NJ I'd buy from them as a show of support if nothing else (although I'm sure i could find a way to force down some of those baked goods :cool:

I had an uncle who worked as a food salesman for many, many years (Standard Brands - they owned Blue Bonnet, Royal Gelatine and Planter's Peanuts among others and yes my first real job was working as "Mr. Peanut"). He had close relationships with the management in some very reputable grocey chains and said it was amazing what tiny petty things they could be fined for.... e.g. back in the days before the workplace no-smoking laws, a visiting salesman might stub out a cigarette on the concrete floor in the warehouse adjacent to where it entered the bakery or butcher's area. Ten minutes later the county health inspector happens through and a violation is issued (this is not hypothetical - it really happened). I think we owe it to ourselves and to businesses that deserve our support to give them the beneift of the doubt when we see that some sort of violsation has occurred or a "conditional" rating has temporarily been issued pending correction.

Not to mention how happy I am that at least one gas station is listed as having its problems corrected - now I can happily eat gas station pizza and hot dogs again knowing that it's safe and healthy not to mention downright tasty :wacko:

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

Given the high emphasis Balthazar's other businesses place on quality, I was surprised to see the health department note. I'm even more pleased that the (apparently) very minor recommendations will be implemented immediately. That was a classy response, exactly what I'd expect from Balthazar.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I am happy that Balthazar Bakery has made an apology-

I did call the Health Department on Monday to explain what happened on Saturday-

The health inspector read the report to me and I of course was very satisfied that any violations were minor and were fixed. She also explained to me some of the problems that businesses have when they open a retail shop in conjunction with a place of manufacture-

Credit should also be given to the Engllewoodwood Health Department-

My purchases were delicious and I will return :biggrin:

Joanne

We all have a public responsibility. I'm glad to see the Balthazar production manager come here and respond to the charges and I'm even happier to see that Joanne went to the trouble of investigating the problem and then bothering to report to us the corroboration of what was posted by the manager. The Internet is rife with criticism, some very deserved and some less so, but few people take the time to follow up and acknowledge a satisfactory conclusion. That eGullet was able to facilitate all this is particularly rewarding to me.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Glad to see Balthazar's OK is noted. Looks like China 46 was cited.

I was surprised to see the PAL cited. I didn't know the health inspectors did government buildings.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

A problem in a cooked food place is one thing, a problem in a sushi joint is something else entirely.

Wonder what it was? And, I wonder if inspectors are more inquisitive in a sushi place than in a cooked food place?

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a Ying Ying in Ridgewood?

yup. chinese take-out place. not notable, from my experience, but one of about 50 in town.

i lie. it's the "upscale" place. one of those places with a fish tank. i never quite understood that as the fish in these things never look very tasty. but still, one of about 50 generic places overall. i think the best chinese place is the new "asian fusion" place. i think is called "asia something or another". not too shabby.

Edited by tommy (log)

Is there a Ying Ying in Ridgewood?

yup. chinese take-out place. not notable, from my experience, but one of about 50 in town.

i lie. it's the "upscale" place. one of those places with a fish tank. i never quite understood that as the fish in these things never look very tasty. but still, one of about 50 generic places overall. i think the best chinese place is the new "asian fusion" place. i think is called "asia something or another". not too shabby.

Tommy, are you talking about Asian Grill on Prospect???

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

• 2 weeks later...