• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

Anyone know what vegetables would give a unique flavor/aroma when dried. One of my favorite instant type ramen is the yakisoba spicy chicken. For the longest time, i always assumed the unique flavor/aroma was from the spice packet. Turns out the flavor/aroma is actually from the dried vegetable packet. I love this flavor so much, i buy these instant ramens just for the packets. I really want to either make, or buy these dried vegetables in bulk instead of buying the whole package. I prefer a thicker more chewy noodle. Anyway this is the list of dried vegetables in the dried vegetable packet:

Dehydrated Vegetables (Cabbage, Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Green Peas, Garlic, Chive, Celery Stalk)

Just to clarify, none of these vegetables taste or smell like this when fresh. Drying them must change their flavor/smell. (kind of how dried minced onion smells compared to fresh minced onion)

But the onion doesn't seem to be the unique flavor/smell in this case. Just using it as an example.

Also, its really hard to tell which vegetable the flavor/smell is coming from until its been cooked. I am guessing its was the cabbage, but my attempts to dehydrate cabbage and boil it didn't seem to produce this flavor, if any to be honest. Maybe its a specific type of cabbage? I have only tried regular green cabbage.

FeChef

FeChef

Anyone know what vegetables would give a unique flavor/aroma when dried. One of my favorite instant type ramen is the yakisoba spicy chicken. For the longest time, i always assumed the unique flavor/aroma was from the spice packet. Turns out the flavor/aroma is actually from the dried vegetable packet. I love this flavor so much, i buy these instant ramens just for the packets. I really want to either make, or buy these dried vegetables in bulk instead of buying the whole package. I prefer a thicker more chewy noodle. Anyway this is the list of dried vegetables in the dried vegetable packet:

Dehydrated Vegetables (Cabbage, Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Green Peas, Garlic, Chive, Celery Stalk)

Just to clarify, none of these vegetables taste or smell like this when fresh. Drying them must change their flavor/smell. (kind of how dried minced onion smells compared to fresh minced onion)

But the onion doesn't seem to be the unique flavor/smell in this case. Just using it as an example.

Also, its really hard to tell which vegetable the flavor/smell is coming from until its been cooked. I am guessing its was the cabbage, but my attempts to dehydrate cabbage and boil it didn't seem to produce this flavor, if any to be honest.

FeChef

FeChef

Anyone know what vegetables would give a unique flavor/aroma when dried. One of my favorite instant type ramen is the yakisoba spicy chicken. For the longest time, i always assumed the unique flavor/aroma was from the spice packet. Turns out the flavor/aroma is actually from the dried vegetable packet. I love this flavor so much, i buy these instant ramens just for the packets. I really want to either make, or buy these dried vegetables in bulk instead of buying the whole package. I prefer a thicker more chewy noodle. Anyway this is the list of dried vegetables in the dreid vegeatable packet:

FeChef

FeChef

Anyone know what vegetables would give a unique flavor/aroma when dried. One of my favorite instant type ramen is the yakisoba spicy chicken. For the longest time, i always assumed the unique flavor/aroma was from the spice packet. Turns out the flavor/aroma is actually from the dried vegetable packet. I love this flavor so much, i buy these instant ramens just for the packets. I really want to either make, or buy these dried vegetables in bulk instead of buying the whole package. I prefer a thicker more chewy noodle. Anyway this is the list of dried vegetables in the dreid vegeatable packet: