• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

48 minutes ago, helenjp said:

I don't know, to me it's more that ramen are one type of alkaline noodle...they are very similar to some other East or Southeast Asian styles, less similar to others. Ramen seem firmer than most Chinese alkaline noodles I have eaten, though. And sweet potato vermicelli or rice vermicelli are made from a different starch (not wheat flour) and a different preparation method (don't use any alkalizing agent) too.

OK, so at the least you would think of "ramen" as wheat noodles only, and needs to be in the Japanese style. (ditto Tere's citation of the Japanese website and the "kinds" exemplified) The North American common usage of "ramen" to refer to almost any kind of instant noodle dish/package, also discussed in the original post, is not what you yourself would talk about.

I note, in passing, that the package you pictured above uses "Chinese buckwheat" (中華蕎麦) noodles? But perhaps it is simply "中華そば" which is what "ramen" is commonly called in Japan (i.e. "Chinese soba", harking back to its Chinese origins) and no actual buckwheat is involved?

huiray

huiray

45 minutes ago, helenjp said:

I don't know, to me it's more that ramen are one type of alkaline noodle...they are very similar to some other East or Southeast Asian styles, less similar to others. Ramen seem firmer than most Chinese alkaline noodles I have eaten, though. And sweet potato vermicelli or rice vermicelli are made from a different starch (not wheat flour) and a different preparation method (don't use any alkalizing agent) too.

OK, so at the least you would think of "ramen" as wheat noodles only, and needs to be in the Japanese style. (ditto Tere's citation of the Japanese website and the "kinds" exemplified) The North American common usage of "ramen" to refer to almost any kind of instant noodle dish/package, also discussed in the original post, is not what you yourself would talk about.

I note, in passing, that the package you pictured above uses "Chinese buckwheat" (中華蕎麦) noodles? But perhaps it is simply "中華そば" which is what "ramen" is commonly called in Japan (i.e. "Chinese" wheat/"buckwheat", harking back to its Chinese origins) and no actual buckwheat is involved?

huiray

huiray

26 minutes ago, helenjp said:

I note, in passing, that the package you pictured above uses Chinese buckwheat (中華蕎麦) noodles?

huiray

huiray

17 minutes ago, helenjp said:

I note, in passing, that the package you pictured above uses Chinese buckwheat (中華蕎麦) noodles.

huiray

huiray

7 minutes ago, helenjp said:

OK, so at the least you would think of "ramen" as wheat noodles only.

I note, in passing, that the package you pictured above uses Chinese buckwheat (中華蕎麦) noodles.