• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I agree with what Darienne said unfortunately. That information was recently published across Canada because some of the Dole and related products that 'may be' contaminated were also sold up here. You may to hold your breath a bit longer but since I am sure that not ALL the product was contaminated, you (one hopes) will be fine.

However, to answer your second question - about whether one returns or just discards a food product that is recalled, I think that depends on the recall information. What the news indicated in Canada was that the salads/greens in question this time should just be thrown away.

My opinion is that when distributors, etc. tell you to just throw away something it is NOT a 'recall' - because you get absolutely no benefit (except possibly not getting sick from a product they should have ensured was safe in the first place!) ... no money back, no replacement .. and they get away with shoddy handling/testing at relatively low cost to them. But, hey, that is just my humble opinion.

Deryn

Deryn

I agree with what Darienne said unfortunately. That information was recently published across Canada because some of the Dole and related products that 'may be' contaminated were also sold up here. You may to hold your breath a bit longer but since I am sure that not ALL the product was contaminated, you (one hopes) will be fine.

However, to answer your second question - about whether one returns or just discards a food product that is recalled, I think that depends on the recall information. What the news indicated in Canada was that the salads/greens in question this time should just be thrown away.

My opinion is that when distributors, etc. tell you to just throw away something it is NOT a 'recall' - because you get absolutely no benefit (except possibly not getting sick from a product they should have ensured was safe in the first place!) ... no money back, no replacement .. and they get away with shoddy handling/testing. But, hey, that is just my humble opinion.

Deryn

Deryn

I agree with what Darienne said unfortunately. That information was recently published across Canada because some of the Dole and related products that 'may be' contaminated were also sold up here.

My opinion is that when distributors, etc. tell you to just throw away something it is NOT a 'recall' - because you get absolutely no benefit (except possibly not getting sick from a product they should have ensured was safe in the first place!) ... no money back, no replacement .. and they get away with shoddy handling/testing. But, hey, that is just my humble opinion.