• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Science of Herbs and Spices

liuzhou

The grassy smell of cut grass, for example, is not due to just hexanal or hexanol (which is practically odorless (I used to work with it too)) as McGee states, but is primarily (but not only) due to cis-3-hexenol and cis-3-hexenal, the latter of which is somewhat unstable and isomerizes into trans-2-hexenal.

Edited by huiray (log)

Nice read, liuzhou.  Not sure I will remember to make use of some of the suggestions but I was most fascinated by the discussion of spanking herbs rather than crushing them.  I knew it was a practice used by bartenders but the science behind it was never explained.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog