• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality Nut Pastes

Paul Bacino

So,

I have been following an Ice cream thread,  which calls for nut pastes like Pistachio and hazelnut. 

The links are for products from the UK  ,  Ie Whynut 

Any of these available in the USA  or a good quality nut paste source.  Trying to play with a few of Ruben's ice cream recipes.

http://icecreamscience.com/category/recipes/

Paul

Its good to have Morels

5 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

So,

I have been following an Ice cream thread,  which calls for nut pastes like Pistachio and hazelnut. 

The links are for products from the UK  ,  Ie Whynut 

Any of these available in the USA  or a good quality nut paste source.  Trying to play with a few of Ruben's ice cream recipes.

http://icecreamscience.com/category/recipes/

Paul

Paul, from my most recent post in the ice cream thread last week:

http://www.rejuvenative.com/pistachio-butter/

I found the quality to be good, but not perfectly smooth.  About as smooth as most commercial creamy peanut butter, that is to say not Natural Jif smooth.  The company offers several other nut butters but pistachio is the only one I've tried.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

If you have a food processor you can try making your own.  Hazelnuts will liquefy after a few minutes.  I seem to recall having more difficulty with pistachios, maybe they are not as oily. 

Yes, according to Modernist Cuisine at Home:  "Because of its high fat content, hazelnut gelato does not look as smooth as pistachio gelato does..."

I would think a blender would work better than a food processor for nut butters but I don't own a blender.  Nor, unfortunately, a colloid mill.  Perhaps someday.  Unless a centrifuge gets here first.

Actually, when I made up my most recent batch of pistachio gelato, it seemed that homogenization reduced the particle size in the mix, whereas trying to use the rotor-stator homogenizer on the nut butter itself would not have done anything because the viscosity of the nut butter is too high for a rotor-stator homogenizer to process.

Though if truth be told, I'm inclined to forget about fancy nut butters and just use Jif.  Seriously.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou