• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak Ager

boudin noir

First time hearing about it so I have no experience with it.  I just took a look at the dimensions and they are only 12'x12"x15.  If you had a whole rib roast or shell roast (which is how I buy), you'd only be able to fit 1/2 or 1/3 of it in there.  What to do with the rest of it?  I just age the whole thing in my fridge and have had good results without any special gadgets. 

and . . . quite a few "experts" don't recommend dry aging beef that has already been cut into steaks.  the cut steaks are  generally too thin, dry out too fast. 

now.... I've done it; for two-three days.  but if you're going to dry your own, I suspect you'll have a lot more success with a large cut that you later trim & slice into steaks.

I have serious doubts it will "... be able to replicate the awesome steaks you would get at a high end steakhouse."