• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Quails

liuzhou

I eat quails often. Grilled or roasted. But I've never actually cooked them. The local supermarket sells them already spatchcocked and I thought they might make a nice simple starter or even main for my Christmas lunch. My technology only allows me to roast or pan fry them.

I've been consulting Mr. Google, but I'm getting all sorts of conflicting suggestions on roasting temps and times.

Would love your suggestions,

Quail.jpg.a8b02c7fb19bd8caf84e8588cd4a57

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, ninagluck said:

I recently made the following, worked out for my birds: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roasted_quail_with_56730

Yes, that was one of the ones I looked at and, being of the British persuasion, kind of trusted. Thanks for your response. I'll have to skip the parsnips though. Much as I love them, they don't exists here.

@Shelby

Don't you frequently get fresh quail brought in by your hunter husband? Maybe you could give liuzhou some pointers?

I love the little birdies, but have only had them in a few restaurants and once, wild harvested by a hunter, cooked very well by someone else, and all of that was years ago.

@liuzhou

Your photo looks different than the fresh quail I have experience with. Are they smoked; otherwise preserved in some way?

> ^ . . ^ <

23 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@liuzhou

Your photo looks different than the fresh quail I have experience with. Are they smoked; otherwise preserved in some way?

That is a rather old photo. Those two babies were marinated (by the store) in a soy sauce based marinade. I have just bought three un-marinaded, but spatchcocked birds* to cook this evening and will report back later.

* "Spatchcocked" is not in the spell check dictionary. Spookily, it suggests that perhaps I mean Hitchcock! The Birds!

• Like 2

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/roast-quail

I like this recipe, although I tend not to bother searing them in the pan first. I also rub them down with butter instead of oil.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

11 minutes ago, ChrisTaylor said:

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/roast-quail

I like this recipe, although I tend not to bother searing them in the pan first. I also rub them down with butter instead of oil.

Thanks for that. I like the minimalism of the recipe. Simple is often best. Although I may add some spiciness.

My Italian mother in law used to bake prepared quails in a hot oven until browned (say 10 minutes), turn it down for a few more, then tip in some white wine for a sugo.

To prepare the birds she would season and evoo them well, stuff the cavities with sage and rosemary, then drape prosciutto over the breasts. 

Edited by sartoric
Correct the recipe .... (log)

This is one of the first recipes I created as a kid...stopped making it ages ago when I learnt I had Celiac :(

Make a stuffing by sautéing onion and celery in copious butter and oil (bread soaks it up). Once translucent, add stale bread pieces, chives, rosemary, sage and grated parmesan and then allow to cool.

Stuff each quail with the stuffing and then wrap in a layer of procuitto. Roast in a 180c over for 20-25m

It was enjoyed by all who ate it

@ sartoric

That sounds delicious but sadly I have no access to sage or rosemary other than years old dried stuff in one shop. I've been shopping there for 18 years and I'm sure those jars were there when I began.

@ Mendel C-k

Thanks. Again a great sounding recipe, but not one I can find the ingredients for. Chinese herbs are different. I think only chives are easily available. Also, my birds are already spatchcocked and would require major surgery if I were to be able stuff them.

Still, I was only really looking for cooking time and temp recommendations. Again they are conflicting. Experiments will continue. I'll substitute local veg and herbs.

Here are two of the three babies I bought this morning. All three are now sitting in a brine.

sq.jpg.ef1ca3cb34c99846244fffd91ca53dee.

I'll get back.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 2

Okay, agreed these guys need an Asian rather than European treatment.

Although, could you grow sage and rosemary ? They grow well in pots.

i'd marinate the quail with some hot bean paste, brown sugar, lime juice and soy. Hot oven to start, then turn down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Although, could you grow sage and rosemary ? They grow well in pots.

Yes, but importing seeds is illegal.

I do grow my own basil, but don't tell them!

The only "western" herb I can easily obtain is coriander leaf/cilantro and occasionally mint or parsley.

Well, here is my first attempt.

First, I brined the birds overnight.

Quail2.jpg

Post Brining

They were then rubbed with olive oil and dusted with a mix of ground black, white, green and red peppercorns.

Quail3.jpg

Oven Ready.

The oven was preheated to 220ºC/425ºF and the birds roasted for 25 minutes. They came out just as I like them. Crisp skin and succulent meat.

Served in a 'nest' of alfalfa sprouts.

Quail4.jpg

Roast quails in an alfalfa nest

Accompanied by a spicy Chinese.dip. Garlic, red chili and Chinese chives in soy sauce with a splash of Zhejiang black vinegar.

Dip.jpg

Dip

I'm more than happy with this as a starter or light lunch. Well, it would have been light if I hadn't eaten three of them.

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 6

Nicely done.

If you're up for another run at quail, I'd be inclined to remove the heads, wings and feet. Not to discard them--oh no--but to serve as the base of a simple gravy. Although then again, it's hard to go past black vin--the master race of condiments. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

liuzhou,

For next time you get hold of fresh quail, Joy of Cooking has a recipe for whole ones that are first marinated in soy, garlic, vinegar, five spice, chili paste, salt, pepper, and maple syrup, but you could substitute another more easily available sweetener. You marinate 4-8 hours, then preheat oven to 475 F. Drain quail, reserving marinade. Place quail on rack in roaster. Roast 10 min. then reduce oven to 375 F. Roast about 10 min. more, basting twice with marinade until juices from thigh run slightly pink and flesh is still moist. Remove from oven, tent with foil for five minutes and serve.

I've not made the recipe, but have had good results with every Joy recipe for meat and poultry, and everything else I have tried, which is a lot.

I wish I could get some. Here, they are not very available unless you know someone who hunts them.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <