• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
FrogPrincesse

Mixing with Experimental Cocktail Club

I've been eying this book since I heard about its upcoming release. For me, a cocktail book with a French slant is a hugely appealling. I flipped through it at my local bookstore and was compelled to buy it when I saw a recipe calling for Byrrh, along with a few re-interpreted classics. The recipes are not overly complex and generally don't call for esoteric ingredients. If you have Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app, it's in the same vein but with a definite French (and international) touch, with recipes calling for things like Suze, Armagnac or Japanese whisky.

Measurements are given in milliliters and ounces, and were probably conceived in metric so they can be a bit unusual sometimes, but this is not a big deal at all. Each recipe is provided with a little background about its creation or general concept, which I always find the most interesting part of these types of books.

The first thing I mixed was the Byrrh cocktail of course. It had quite a few other ingredients, but luckily I had everything already on hand.

Handsome Jack (Chris Tanner) with Rittenhouse straight rye, Pierre Ferrand 1840, Aperol, Byrrh, green Chartreuse, maple syrup, Angostura and Peychaud's bitters.

As indicated in the notes, it is slightly on the sweet side but it has a slight bitterness that compensates for that (from the Byrrh and Aperol). The flavor is deep and complex. There is almost like a chestnut note with the maple syrup and cognac, and a nice kick from the rye. A very good fall/winter drink.

22567941603_f3b95b5fbb_z.jpg

Review of the book on Eater.

Edited by FrogPrincesse typo (log)
  • Like 1

Thank you for making me want to purchase this book.

I know, right? :) Hard to resist another cocktail book.

Here is Winnie the Pooh, a rum-based relative of Eeyore's Requiem, aka a Negroni variation with a Cynar & Fernet kick. Plantation 3 Stars + batavia arrack (substituted for Banks 5 Island white rum), Campari, Dolin white vermouth, Fernet-Branca, Cynar, Fee West Indian and Regan's orange bitters.

22827861729_cd64a46a4b_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Third up is the Nourishment, on paper a weird mix of tequila, dry vermouth, violet and citrus. It felt like the right thing though. I have a gorgeous bottle of Ocho plata that is super aromatic, and I was in the mood for a sour, for a change.

The drink is described as a Corpse Reviver No. 2 relative (it is in its structure, for sure) but its taste is actually more reminiscent of an Aviation to me. I've had tequila-based Aviations in the past (where you just substitute tequila for the gin) and they are not that great. But here the dry vermouth closes the gap between the tequila and the violet; it was very harmonious and even the absinthe blended in instead of standing out like a sore thumb.

There is some commonality with a very nice drink from PDT which also scuccessfully pairs violet and Tequila, the Aguila Azteca.

Nourishment with 2014 Ocho blanco tequila, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, lime, lemon, R&W violette liqueur, St. George absinthe.

22837861697_f66de75b38_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse typo (log)
  • Like 2

Not sure if post are still indexing or if some things have been lost during the upgrade but my previous post seems to be gone. Was curious how this was made. Is it a 1:1:1:1 with absinthe rinse like a Corpse Reviver as you suggested?

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Not sure if post are still indexing or if some things have been lost during the upgrade but my previous post seems to be gone. Was curious how this was made. Is it a 1:1:1:1 with absinthe rinse like a Corpse Reviver as you suggested?

Yeah, a few things got lost in the upgrade! :(

Below are the specs for the Nourishment.

Also, you had asked about mezcal instead of tequila, and I had responded that a grassy non-smoky one might work. The cocktail is essentially about clean vegetal flavors, so I would try to keep it in that direction.

1 oz tequila

1 oz dry vermouth

2 tsp lime juice

2 tsp lemon juice

1 oz violette mix* (reduced to 1/2 oz)

6 dashes absinthe

*violette mix = 2 parts violet liqueur, 1 part simple syrup.

Sounds good! The Mezcal Vago Tepeztate might work. Really nice citrus-y notes and not too much smoke. But I can probably dig up an interesting tequila to try as well.

From the "Friends" section, a modern take on the Dark & Stormy, The Perfect Storm (Alastair Burgess) with dark rum (Lost Spirits Polynesian-inspired rum), vieille prune aged plum eau-de-vie (Etter), lemon juice, honey syrup, ginger juice (BG Reynolds ginger syrup). I had tried it before with El Dorado 8. It's wonderful with the Polynesian-inspired rum - you get pineapple and banana notes (the ginger blends really well with the other ingredients and isn't obvious at all), it's boozy and very complex.

Perfect Storm (Alastair Burgess) with Lost Spirits Polynesian-inspired rum, Etter vieille prune plum eau-de-vie, lemon juice, honey syrup, ginger syrup #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rum #eaudevie #ginger #honey

• Like 3

Another one from the "Friends" section, the Meat Hook (Shaun Layton) with Rittenhouse 100 rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Laphroaig 10 year Scotch whisky. It's a great Red Hook variation!

Meat Hook ( Shaun Layton) with Rittenhouse 100 rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Laphroaig 10 year Scotch whisky #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #whiskey #whisky #scotch #experimentalcocktailclub

@FrogPrincesse Probably my favorite Red Hook variation is:

1 1/2 oz rye

1/2 Islay

1/2 Maraschino

1/2 Punt e Mes

1/2 Dry vermouth or sherry.

good cherry

Sounds very similar to the above.

• Like 1

Just starting leafing through this book on Sunday. Lots of unfamiliar bottles -- which just makes me happy as it's a reason for fresh avenues of research and the perfect excuse for purchases to support said research!  For science.

Classic Ripoff (Alex Skarlen) with High West Double Rye! straight rye whiskey, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, lemon, Angostura and Peychaud’s bitters.

The addition of lemon juice to something that was build based on a Manhattan / Brooklyn was interesting. It gave it a lighter feel.

Classic Ripoff (Alex Skarlen) with High West Double Rye! straight rye whiskey, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, lemon, Angostura and Peychaud's bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #experimentalcocktailclub

Brazilian Prescription with Leblon cachaça, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, St Elizabeth allspice dram, acacia honey, lemon juice.

This cocktail was inspired by the Sangaree, a type of drink typically made from wine which predates the Sangria. In this example, it is build with cachaça which immediately gives it a different, lighter vibe. Pairing cachaça with dry vermouth is unexpected but somehow it works, with the allspice liqueur adding a healthy dose of spice.

Brazilian Prescription (Experimental Cocktail Club) with Leblon cachaça, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, St Elizabeth allspice dram, acacia honey, lemon juice #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #sangaree #cachaca #experimentalcocktailclub

Arrackiri (Damien Aries) with batavia arrack, lime juice, agave syrup, yellow Chartreuse, Vida mezcal, Boy Drinks World serrano tincture.

This drink is not to be confused with Phil Ward’s drink, the Arrackuiri, a sour with batavia arrack and pomegranate molasses that is described in the Death & Co Cocktail Book.

Kudos on making something harmonious on a base of batavia arrack, which is notoriously difficult to work with. This may be the best example I’ve tried to date.

Arrackiri (Damien Aries) with batavia arrack, lime juice, agave syrup, yellow Chartreuse, Vida mezcal, Boy Drinks World serrano tincture #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #bataviaarrack #mezcal #experimentalcocktailclub

Vieux Rectangle (Arthur Come) with Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth, Aperol, Angostura and Peychaud’s bitters, St. George absinthe.

This is a great example of a drink build on the Vieux Carré template. This re-interpretation uses cognac alone as the base, and swaps out the Benedictine for some Aperol and absinthe.

Vieux Rectangle (Arthur Come) with Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth, Aperol, Angostura and Peychaud's bitters, St. George absinthe #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #vieuxcarre

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:03 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

Brazilian Prescription with Leblon cachaça, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, St Elizabeth allspice dram, acacia honey, lemon juice.

Could you give the ratios used?

• Like 1

Actually, searching diligently on amazon yields the Brazilian Prescription recipe from the book.  I substituted Sercial (Blandy's) for the vermouth, and gum ( @feste ) for the honey.  Madeira seems so much more connected to Brazil than France does.  Besides, I don't like vermouth.  The result was rather sweet for my taste so I added the remainder of the half lemon over the ice.

I'd make this again.

The picture was not worth posting since I have no passion fruit for garnish.

• Like 1

Here is the recipe in the book:

1.5 oz cachaça Yaguara

0.5 oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth

1/2 tsp allspice liqueur 

3/4 oz honey

3/4 oz lemon juice

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By umami5
      Has anyone come across a digital version of Practical Professional Cookery (revised 3rd edition) H.L. Cracknell & R.J. Kaufmann.
      I am using this as the textbook for my culinary arts students and a digital version would come in very handy for creating notes and handouts.
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By Mullinix18
      I have seen referenced in several places on the internet, including Wikipedia, a stat about escoffier recommending 40 minutes for scrambled eggs in a Bain Marie. I cant find where this number is from. On Wikipedia it refers to the book I currently own, the "Escoffier le guide culinaire" with forward by Heston Blumenthal by h. L. Cracknell...specificly page 157 for the 40 minute cooking time of scrambled eggs but it's not in my book on that page! Even tho there is the recipe for scrambled eggs on that page... I've seen the 1903 first edition online.. And it's not in there either.... Where is this number from?? Id like to know in case there is some even more complete book or something out there that I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 
    • By Hideo Sakai
      Any idea what is the best book for me? I am starting to love cooking, I just got great recipe of sauces from this book "Restaurant Style Barbecue Sauce Recipes" all I need is the proper technique for grilling. Thanks
    • By Tuber magnatum
      In the post below, there was a link to what looks to be a terrific book on beef cutting,  "The Art of Beef Cutting: A Meat Professional's Guide to Butchering and Merchandising".

Reading some of the reviews on Amazon, I came across this video which I thought extremely educational, particularly seeing as I just bought a mixed 1/4 Wagyu carcass and wanted to learn more about the cuts I received , and I thought others might be interested.  Its long, but I found it much easier to understand than just looking at photos. Also referenced was the free pdf/webpage CFIA MEAT CUTS MANUAL.