• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid caramel for truffle shells

RichardJones

I've run a search but couldn't find any topics discussing recipes for liquid caramel centres. Does anyone have one they can share/recommend?

I've experimented with Grewling's soft caramel but it's not quite what I'm after. (I'm also surprised it doesn't have any glucose in it.)

Thanks!

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

I can't see how to edit the post above but I'd like to kill two birds with one stone. Does anyone know what shelf life Grewling's caramel would have (once truffled up), please? That would be a helpful starting point.

Beyond that shelf life would there just be deterioration of quality or would there be a health risk? Thank you.

Kerry Beal did a whole section on Caramel in 2006 in "Confectionery 101".  That's the caramel I use.   Plus there are many topics on caramel if you search using that word.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Darienne. Kerry's recipe in Confectionery 101 is for chewy caramels not liquid caramel. As I mentioned in my post, I have done a search for liquid caramel but did not find any suitable topics. Perhaps I missed something!

Sorry about that.  I am no expert in things caramel or otherwise.  I seem to recall making the caramel more or less chewy under Kerry's advice for my own purposes. 

Maybe later today Kerry will see your post and propose an answer.  Kerry, or one of the other savants. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I want a liquid caramel, I just use my normal caramel recipe but don't put it back on the heat and cook it up to a specific temp after I add the cream. I just pull the sugar from the heat, stir in the (hot) cream and butter and call it done. It isn't liquid like water but it flows easily from a squeeze bottle at room temp. But I generally use it as a sauce... shelf life isn't a concern.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Here's mine - instructions seem repetitive

Caramel for Filling Ingredients

• 150 grams glucose
  • 350 grams sugar
  • 250 grams whipping cream
  • 50 grams butter
  • vanilla

Method

1.Warm the cream in a pot or the microwave until steaming. : 

Boil sugar and glucose to dark brown. Deglaze pan carefully with hot cream. Add butter and vanilla. Let cool. Pipe into dark chocolate molds.
2.Place sugar and glucose in a heavy pot and boil until quite brown. The darker you take it the more bitter it will be. : When the colour is as you like it, add the warm cream carefully. It will splash and sputter so be careful you are not burned.
3.Stir well to get any stuck bits off the pan. Add butter and vanilla extract.  

4.Cool completely before piping into molds. This filling has a tendency to leak so it is best to let it sit overnight before backing off the molds.  
  • Like 2

What Kerry posted is what I was less skillfully trying to say. Not cooking the caramel up to a temp that would allow it to set up firm enough to cut is what I do as well. I sometimes make a small batch at home and park it in a squeeze bottle. The kid likes to shoot it onto apple slices and it flows out of the bottle without having to heat it first. It won't hold it's shape if you squirt a blob of it on a plate, it slowly spreads until flat.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.