• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

I went back and watched the ATK episode (S14 E3 currently available on Netflix) to see exactly what they said.  They agree with pbear that the temperature of steam remains 212.  However, the steam has 5 times the energy (owing to water being 'sticky' because of hydrogen bonds and, um, yada,yada...).

What this means is that steam can cook more eggs in the same amount of time.  That explains my inconclusive results using one egg in each pot.  Had I used 4 eggs in each pot, I probably would have seen the results I expected.  More eggs would've caused a temperature drop in the water, requiring energy to be devoted to the getting the water back to boiling rather than being available for the eggs.

IndyRob

IndyRob

I went back and watched the ATK episode (S14 E3 currently available on Netflix) to see exactly what they said.  They confirm that the temperature of steam remains 212.  However, the steam has 5 times the energy (owing to water being 'sticky' because of hydrogen bonds and, um, yada,yada...).

What this means is that steam can cook more eggs in the same amount of time.  That explains my inconclusive results using one egg in each pot.  Had I used 4 eggs in each pot, I probably would have seen the results I expected.  More eggs would've caused a temperature drop in the water, requiring energy to be devoted to the getting the water back to boiling rather than being available for the eggs.