• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Limited Edition EB condensed milk?

hummingbirdkiss

This could be "old news" and if so please forgive I do not get out much lately! My husband kryptonite is Eagle Brand Condensed milk in super strong coffee. (like Vietnamese coffee but hot and strong not over ice) …we went shopping earlier this week and I said ? "how funny I just saw Eagle Brand has broken out of its mold and trying ..for a 'limited time only' chocolate and caramel" he said "WHERE"! 

now these are in my  doorless cabinet

He put them in a prominent position LOLOL! right smack in front of all things "healthy"! 

/22212879531_1c10884179.jpg

He hates flavored coffee the condensed milk is a stretch for him so I know he wants me to "make something" 

Does Eagle Brand REALLY need to be something different?  I really think they have had the caramel previously but it was called "dulce de leche"(that is so easy to make when I want it and tastes so good home made that I never have purchased the canned or jarred )  I cannot imagine the three things I make with SCM it being any better if they are pre flavored with chocolate or caramel but maybe? ? (Key lime pie, miracle bars, tres leches cake) 

I call his coffee "baby coffee" and he has the kids and grands all drinking it that way with him when they visit.

I have only tried Eagle Brand if I put a spoon in and taste it I do not like it at all…I am not a fan of sweet coffee but will have one once in a while for dessert. 

when we lived in Panama back in the early 80's they used to have a lot of TV commercials during the day .. showing happy healthy kids starting their days with a big plop of SCM on white bread and a  huge smile .. I had, at that point, never tried it  and thought "why not" ? so I tried to put a big blob of it on white bread ..epic fail

It was offered as a topping on a snow cone, that lead me to shave ice and both I love to this day with SCM so maybe chocolate Eagle brand on shave ice would be good ? 

I am afraid the chocolate or caramel flavor may not be good? Maybe going for "dulce de leche" ? Has anyone tried these?

have you seen any other flavors? 

any ideas for something for husband? I may do a shave ice thing with the chocolate 

any interest in talking about this? If you have tried it ..how was it? does it taste like chocolate and caramel or is it "flavored" 

• Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I found this too unpleasant to eat as a "ready to serve" anything on anything ..but my husband on the other hand really likes it! He said he "would, could and probably will" consume a can of it if left alone for very long. 

I made the recipe on the back of the can for the chocolate version of Magic Cookie bars 

but I changed the pecans into ground almonds ..used more and a mix of all the leftover chocolate chips I had in the pantry 

and about a cup more coconut 

a shot of vanilla I made with rum base and it was like a MAGIC MOUNDS BAR!

holy crap that was good and now we are up early and off on a 6 mile uphill urban hike. 

I would buy it again and make this again but only when I had more people around to eat it. 

but a "no" for me on "ready to eat" and a "yes any day, give me a spoon and you chase the fking pig for a while"  for him ..if that matters to anyone ever LOL for some reason after a really shitty week this hit the spot mentally and physically. 

did not and will not open the caramel until the next "day of need "

• Like 2

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

well I tried the caramel one ..and it tasted just like the "caramel" syrup at coffee drink stores. 

I do not like it there or mixed with condensed milk so for me it is NOT a ready to serve anything 

my husband said the same thing . 

so I made it into the recipe on the container .."caramel apple cheese cake" ..I did not care for the "caramel" flavor of the SCM  but the recipe technically was a good one because my grandkids demolished the cake. But they also love triple tall caramel drinks at the coffee drink store! 

Piglet 

since my granddaughter was born we have visited a Khmer restaurant that were family to us ..they gave her a huge dish of "Chinese donuts" and a bowl of sweetened condensed milk to dip them in ..she was always a sticky mess but is a grown 5 year old and really misses those donuts and SCM dipping sessions …maybe I can make it for her ..I have not made the donuts perfectly EVER …

but she loves the mistakes 

so that s another way to enjoy Ready to eat regular SCM and if you like the other flavors try them on Chinese donuts! (sorry I do not know the correct name because I get these at three different Asian restaurants and they call the donuts something different in each place but all three know them as "Chinese donuts" and I see them in the Asian mkt labeled as "Chinese donuts" it is a fried culler that is not sweet and has a ton of giant holes I eat it with Jook or congee ) 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Two or three months ago I found myself wondering if one could make ice cream without a machine out of some sort of whipped cream variation.  Eventually I did a YouTube search and found that this is indeed possible, and SCM appears to be a major element.

​It almost looks like this is becoming a thing.  It's made me buy multiple cans of SCM.  Now I'm wondering about folding in some streaks of the caramel SCM.

• Like 2

FUN! …hey if  you like the flavor of coffee drink stores caramel syrup then try it  they are the same kind of "caramel" flavor but do not really taste like caramel syrup I would use in ice-cream 

for sure 

I am going to try this with the grands

they would drink dcm out of the can.. if I let them…but honestly we do try to hit the healthier foods as well and I am really  glad their parents do not buy it or they would put it themselves in coffee every day ..they love "baby coffee" they call it as well

it is a kids type flavor that is for sure I get that with SCM kids would really like the milky sweetness right out of the can on white bread like I saw in those Panama commercials back in the day …it was promoted as a very "healthy" treat for kids …it is not that but it is a fun food to play with kids ..how else can you make instant fudge sauce but with a little butter vanilla some cut up bittersweet nuke it and voila stick to your teeth gooey good hot fudge sauce! 

now my teeth hurt and I am going to go for a run before the rain comes again (hope everyone is safe and sound the weather is insane here now) I have to visit the veggie threads more now that the weather is turning I can not get enough exercise to equal out my sweet tooth 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet