• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calphalon jumps the shark

pbear

We've had various discussions about layers in stainless steel pans, but I don't think I've ever noticed such a brazen abuse of the concept as the recently released Calphalon Signature line.  For example, look at the write-up for the 5 qt dutch oven.  Five layers!  Only, turns out it's stainless inside-and-out, then three aluminum layers each on top of the other.  I defy any materials engineer with a reputation to lose to explain how that's any better than tri-ply.  Pure marketing hokem, I say.

Needless to say, I am NOT endorsing this product line.

This sounds like the cookware equivalent of putting five blades in a razor.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Cookware manufacturers have been doing this forever. Presumably, the official line is that the 3 layers of aluminium are slightly different alloys that have different performance characteristics but in reality, the reason is because ignorant cookware purchasers mistakenly assume more ply = better and buy the most ply. Cookware manufacturers don't make their money on informed shoppers who research obsessively and buy the best gear for the lowest price, they make it from people wandering around department stores and picking out the nicest looking set for a wedding registry.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

I'm not a materials expert and know nothing about the construction of cookware, I just use it, but I know there are some material where laminates are stronger or more stable than a single piece of the material. Does that apply to metals?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I haven't tried the 5 ply one but Calphalon in general isn't really great, in my opinion. When Calphalon first came out, I still owned a restaurant and got a small skillet to try out and perhaps get more for the bussiness.  I hated it.  A few years later a friend who works in a kitchen supply store said that brand was the most likely to get returned.  I never got another one until I moved back home to Kansas City 3 1/2 years ago.  My son and (now DIL) had stayed behind to finish the school year at college and kept a non-stick one I used for omelets.  I got a non-stick Calphalon at Marshals to replace it and liked it. It was better than I remembered the first one.  I have replaced it twice because the surface gets marred but I have stuck with the brand. The current one is about a year old. Eggs don't stick when I use a little butter but they do stick when my DIL cooks eggs without any oil.  I tried an All Clad that I didn't like because the handle was hard to hold. It tended to want to twist in my hand and dump the ingredients.  I tried another brand that was well recommended and liked it less that the Calphalon. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Cookware manufacturers don't make their money on informed shoppers ..... they make it from people wandering around department stores and picking out the nicest looking set for a wedding registry.

Truer words never spoken.  Retail at a glance.

I am not sure the technical reasons for doing this:

" is made with five layers of metal that deliver exceptionally even heating and precise temperature control. Three layers of aluminum spread the heat evenly across the entire pan, and two stainless steel layers provide a stunning and durable surface that is dishwasher safe and induction capable. "

That means three layers of aluminum are bound together. Why binding aluminum to aluminum?

dcarch

BTW, my car has 14 cup holders. :-)

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

probably because some one else has a 5-layer item.

I have used their original, or very old model non-stick pans

the kind you got at BB&B  ( coupon of course ) in two-packs over 10 years ago  8 " and 10 "

10 " and 12 "

"" intgroductory ""   they are very decent pans

models have changes several times

To be clear, I'm not hatin' on Calphalon.  In fact, I have four pieces of tri-ply, which work fine for what they are.  It's just that I happened to notice this new product line yesterday at BB&B and thought, "Oh dear, they've run out of good ideas."

Edited by pbear (log)

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I can think of (besides pure cynicism) is that to make the bottom thicker than the sides, and it's easier with an additional layer than with a layer of variable thickness. But it doesn't explain why you'd need more than 2 layers of aluminum.

I have some old calphalon (from back when it was the Commercial Aluminum Cookware Co.). This stuff is pretty nice, even when it's been beaten nearly beyond recognition. I no longer love anodized aluminum, although find it serviceable enough to keep using. Newer calphalon looks purely like a consumer brand driven by marketing people. I'd only recommend it if it were available for cheap.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly