• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide half chicken

Josh71

In my thread about liquid smoke, someone posted smoke chicken recipe from ChefSteps:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-chicken

I am thinking to use sous vide instead of low-temperature-oven (90C), because I don't trust my oven can hold the temperature stable. 

So, here is the plan:

- Cut the whole chicken into 2 parts half-chicken

- Make smokey brine: water + liquid smoke + salt

- Brine the half-chicken (overnight???)

- Bag the chicken prepare for sous vide

- Sous vide the chicken ...

After sous vide finished:

- Pat dry the chicken

- Glaze with some BBQ sauce (add liquid smoke as needed)

- Broil under very hot oven (395F / 202C) to brown and crisp the skin

My question, what would be the temperature and time to sous vide half chiken?

Chicken breast usually at 150F / 65C for about 1 hour.

Chicken thigh usually at 165F / 74C for about 1 hour.

I am thinking, for half-chicken is at the average of that :)

158F / 70C for let say 1,5 hour.

And the brining time, overnight is not too much? I don't want too much smoke flavor :)

What do you think? :)

Edited by Josh71 (log)

Sous vide is cooking in a 100% humidity environment so the skin won't lose any moisture and subsequent crisping will be much harder. The reason to cook in the oven is to dehydrate the exterior and get crackling crisp skin. I would simply set the oven to as low as it can go and temp the thighs and pull it out once the thighs hit 65C. If you want to make broiled sous vide chicken, then make sous vide broiled chicken but understand that it will be a very different end result than what's demonstrated in that recipe.

• Like 2

PS: I am a guy.

Sous vide is cooking in a 100% humidity environment so the skin won't lose any moisture and subsequent crisping will be much harder. The reason to cook in the oven is to dehydrate the exterior and get crackling crisp skin. I would simply set the oven to as low as it can go and temp the thighs and pull it out once the thighs hit 65C. If you want to make broiled sous vide chicken, then make sous vide broiled chicken but understand that it will be a very different end result than what's demonstrated in that recipe.

Thanks for the input.

I do have that common meat thermometer, the thing like "needle" made from metal. 

So, I can simply insert the needle in the thickest part of the thigh, put it in the oven, and wait till it reach 65C, and it's done?

Can I leave the thermometer attached like that throughout the cooking process? 

Well, I do have other kind of thermometer, a digital one, like Thermapen but cheaper version :)