• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

image.jpeg

Somewhat of a surprise to me. On the left the liquid contents the bag of bacon purchased at the supermarket. On the right that from some home cured bacon. Both weighed about the same and both were cooked in the same Sous Vide bath at the same time and for the same amount of time. 

image.jpeg

It is not too obvious here but on the right is the store bought bacon and on the left is the home cured. Both have been cooked stovetop to give them a bit of color. They went in the same pan for the same amount of time. The store bought bacon crisped up rather nicely.   The fat on the home cured bacon remained soft and squidgy.  I also noticed that with both bacons that there was a considerable loss of both flavour and saltiness.   Not sure what to take away from this. 

Anna N

Anna N

image.jpeg

Somewhat of a surprise to me. On the list the liquid contents of bacon purchased at supermarket. On the right that from some home cured bacon. Both weighed about the same and both were cooked in the same Sous Vide bath at the same time and for the same amount of time. 

image.jpeg

It is not too obvious here but on the right is the store bought bacon and on the left is the home cured. Both have been cooked stovetop to give them a bit of color. They went in the same pan for the same amount of time. The store bought bacon crisped up rather nicely.   The fat on the home cured bacon remained soft and squidgy.  I also noticed that with both bacons that was a considerable loss of  both flavour and saltiness.   Not sure what to take away from this.