• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Lemon Trick: Caramelized Lemon Juice

Shel_B

Most of us add lemon juice to many dishes, and here's a way to kick up the lemon juice: caramelize it.
I've never seen this mentioned here, although I'm sure others must know about it.  I was watching an old cooking show with Jamie Oliver, and saw him do this.  I had to try it, and I liked the results.

Take your lemons and cut in half along the equator.  Heat up a little oil in a skillet, get it nice and hot.  Put the lemons cut side down in the hot oil and cook until the lemons develop a nice brown, caramelized coating.  Then squeeze the juice into whatever you are preparing ... the juice will be darker than usual.

Have fun experimenting .... it would be interesting to know how you've used this.

Caramelized Lemon.JPG

• Like 2

... Shel

I have a recipe (original source unknown but something similar was published in Real Simple) for a roasted lemon vinaigrette. Lemon halves and garlic cloves are roasted in the oven. The resulting lemon pulp and juice, roasted garlic, salt, Dijon, honey and olive oil are emulsified. It is an excellent dressing for salads, fish and many vegetables, especially broccoli.

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 1

jmacnaughtan,

I'm absolutely with you on the fresh lemon juice.

To me even slight cooking alters the flavor, and not for the better.

I sometimes follow traditional recipes like Greek lemon chicken, but I think fresh lemon juice spritzed at the end of cooking would be a huge improvement.

> ^ . . ^ <

I think they are totally different beasts - fresh, baked/braised/barbequed, caramelized, preserved, etc. Each is delicious in its own way and has a different taste. Each has its own place where it shines and is the appropriate taste/texture for a particular dish. I like them all, used where they belong.

I am not sure though that I would glaze them in oil first. That part somehow doesn't appeal to me nor do I think it is necessary.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

I was recently plagerizing a dish from Virginia Willis' "Lighten Up" and wanted to add some visual appeal.  The lemon added to the grilled shrimp and pepper dish and looked good too.  I think it worked because it was a grilled dish.   Was fun to make, fun to present and fun to eat. 

2015-03-23 20.25.58.jpg

• Like 2