• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clambake Broth/Base

LaurieB

Anyone have the perfect recipe for the mix that will make the best broth (and subsequent chowder)?  I've seen several -- some swear by seafood broth over seafood), some have white wine, and one friend swears by adding V-8.  Thanks-- Laurie

On the question of broth, I stake out the simple-is-best position.  If I'm making clam chowder from scratch, I want pure clam flavor from my broth.  That means when steaming clams, I use water only. Additions such as wine, tomatoes, etc. are fine if I'm going to serve up a bowl of clams, mussels, etc. and sop up the broth with some bread.  But for chowder, keep the broth simple.

You might want to look through our Chowder cook-off to see how others do it.  I also highly recommend Jasper White's 50 Chowders if you want recipes for chowder beyond just the broth.