• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Lab. Is this a good idea?

gfweb

Interesting piece. The concept isn't even a little bit attractive to me.  Pay upfront for membership in a focus group that dines sporadically in places ill-suited for eating a meal (a parking garage, really?).

They are going to monetize this by starting restaurants that exploit the recipe data generated from the labs. Doesn't sound promising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/business/dinner-lab-brings-the-wisdom-of-crowds-to-haute-cuisine.html

The wisdom of crowds?  Ummm ...

This sounds very much like an event business, as somebody in the article said.  I could see it being sustainable in big enough population centres - pop-up restaurants can be fun, but I don't always want to eat in a (probably drafty) motorcycle garage.  You'd need a good population base so there was always a supply of first-timers coming along.

But were those plastic wine glasses on the tables?  Ugh.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

How can you reap the wisdom of the crowd and not end up playing to the lowest common denominator?

Otherwise, I could sort of see this as fun, if you had a SO or group of friends to go with and were into offbeat dining experiences.  The price isn't bad for a tasting menu, and you have an added theater component.  But I see this more as a novelty event than as a way to build restaurants.  I'm just not convinced that crowd-sourcing a fine dining menu is going to result in the same kind of experience that having a skilled, visionary chef create it.

• Like 1

It's not about the data, it's not about crowd sourcing, it's not even really about the food...It's about attention and publicity....I see it as a stunt to take advantage of social media and other appropriate publicity and the like (they do get a lot of press) to build the business to the point of direct or indirect profit....if they can't make real profit, maybe they can sell the whole deal  to some rich moron.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Giving diners an opportunity to rate their food probably increases their willingness to pay large amounts of money for the privilege. Everyone seems hooked on rating everything, and wow do most of them love sound of their own....keyboard. See Delia Ephron, also in today's paper--it's very funny.