• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite way to use Pop Rocks and other fun ingredients

JeanneCake

so I'm looking to insert a little fun and whimsy to a few desserts; and right now my current obsession is with pop rocks (which I found on the Chef Rubber site) and while I was browsing Chef Rubber's site, found "glow in the dark flashy sparkles", http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Flashy-Sparkles-Glow-in-the-Dark-10g-.35oz/ which made me wonder how people are using THAT!

The pop rocks are available in plain and chocolate covered (the chocolate covered ones made me think they'd survive in a mousse) and I'm looking for ways to use them.  What's your experience with them?  How did clients respond?  What did you like or not like about using them? And what about the glow in the dark stuff!!! LOL!

I haven't used them in quite a while. The last thing I did with them was a bit on the cheesy side but it went over well. I dropped some into a molded bon bon shell, sealed them off with a bit of chocolate and dropped in a cherry with some fondant before backing. When bit into, the liquid from the fondant cherry combined with the pop rocks and put on a little show in the mouth. Yes, I'm afraid I did introduce them as Cherry Poppers. I've also used them in aerated chocolate by combining them with caramelized rice krispies and lining the container with a layer of the mixture before shooting the chocolate in. Fun to eat and also makes a nice base layer for some constructions. After deciding at one point that I was using them a little too much, I kinda forgot about them for a while. I stumbled across the container one day and they'd all melded into a giant lump of crackly sugar that I tossed in the trash.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

LOL cherry poppers!  I kind of like that idea.  But not being a chocolatier I would probably have to get a preformed shell that I can drop the cherry and rocks into then fill with ganache. Or maybe I would have to use a push pop mold kind of thing.  What's aerated chocolate?  (aside from being something I should get into because I am not versed in chocolate!)