• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed vs pressure-cooked eggs

cyalexa

I have been using the pressure cooker for eggs primarily because they are so much easier to peel (neighbors have hens). I have noticed that a number of people here steam (without pressure) their eggs. I would guess that the pressure is the important factor in ease of peeling, not the steam. Am I right? What do you think?

It's never occurred to me to use a pressure cooker on eggs. I don't own a pressure cooker, so even if I'd thought of it I couldn't have tested it. It does seem as though steamed eggs are easier to peel than boiled eggs, but I haven't done a careful study. This topic pops up occasionally; the most recent discussion about steaming vs. boiling is here: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148583-steaming-hard-cooked-eggs/

Thanks for bringing up this technique. I was going to suggest you'd come up with a new method, but in searching the forums I found some discussion about it in the Pressure Cookers topics. Laura Pazzaglia (Society member 'pazzaglia') posted a blog entry on the very topic, and a few people have tested it and included links. Here's another link to her blog entry: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/cracked-soft-medium-and-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-pressure-cooker/

Of course, I still can't test it, but it would great to see some side by side testing of 'steam' vs. 'pressure cook' to see what difference the pressure makes.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My experience with steamed eggs is that they generally peel easier than boiled egg. I have no experience with pressure cooked eggs.

I've done both pressure cooked and steamed. Didn't notice much difference in peeling.

• 2 months later...

Answering my own question:

Having prepared several batches using both techniques I would say that the hard-cooked eggs from the pressure cooker are marginally easier to peel than those steamed in a covered regular pot. Both techniques result in MUCH easier peeling than boiling.

My most recent effort, deviled eggs topped with bacon and and garlic chives is pictured in the lunch

thread: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146914-lunch-whatd-ya-have-2014%E2%80%93/

• Like 1