• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toro NYC

SobaAddict70

I can't believe we don't already have a thread on this place.

B and I had dinner here last night with a couple of friends. Great place for tapas; we didn't have any of the paellas, but I might come back for those. It's located in a part of Manhattan I very rarely visit. For example, I've lived in this city for 20+ years, and yet last night was the first time I visited Chelsea Market. Shows you what I know.

Some dishes didn't quite work, but most did, and in any event left me wanting to return.

Toro NYC

85 10th Avenue (West 15th Street)

Chelsea

http://toro-nyc.com/

With a bottle of cava, the bill came out to $202 not including tip, or roughly $65 per person for a party of 4.

14153343982_f63d1f64e2_z.jpg

Jamon served with bread

13969525450_b62bfae02a_z.jpg

Spicy shishito peppers with sea salt

13969491147_bbcfc37edc_z.jpg

Galician octopus, crispy potatoes, charred onions

The octopus was so tender, you could cut it with a spoon.

13969524890_855974b691_z.jpg

Marinated quail, with sweet peas, green olives, almonds and Meyer lemon

13969498539_867dcd9507_z.jpg

Wild mushrooms, farm egg, fiddlehead ferns

13969490537_b63c863d2e_z.jpg

Cauliflower and kohlrabi with pine nuts, golden raisins, anchovy and pimenton de la vera

A tad salty, but otherwise very good.

14153342512_50b347f407_z.jpg

Cuttlefish and orzo risotto, with squid ink, goat cheese and jamon

13969524040_9944b1853b_z.jpg

Smoked duck drumettes with apricot-mustard glaze

We thought this was one of the weaker dishes last night. Quite average/nothing special.

14153342142_794b045b7d_z.jpg

Seafood stew, with lobster, sea urchin and parsnips

14152823501_064c779133_z.jpg

Meyer lemon pudding, citrus, almond crumble

13969489427_10af522c3d_z.jpg

Strawberry shortcake, sherry whipped cream

COMP DISCLOSURE: the duck drumettes

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Yes it does.

but I have to say, something's not quite right w that Quail dish.

maybe its the meconium smear ?

glad very few people know what meconium is. no worries.  its usually sterile. a bit salty, some say.

:wacko:

when are restaurants going to give up that Back of the Spoon Smear Stuff.

just 'cause the restaurant down the street uses it for God only knows What Reason,

doesn't mean everybody needs to.

just saying.

maybe a tiny smear, for color, balance   One only,  Not Green.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Darn you, rotuts, I thought I was learning a new culinary term. :-D Nonetheless, I agree with you that the smear looks out of place. It's too big, too green, too...something. Soba, what actually was that? It seems the wrong shade of green to be pea puree. What did it taste like?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Darn you, rotuts, I thought I was learning a new culinary term. :-D Nonetheless, I agree with you that the smear looks out of place. It's too big, too green, too...something. Soba, what actually was that? It seems the wrong shade of green to be pea puree. What did it taste like?

that was the green olive romesco sauce, which I thought seemed a touch too much presentation wise. tasty though.

A friend reported on another board :wink::blink::rolleyes:

The quail was another highlight. There was a glaze on it that I couldn't identify but loved. The bird actually had flavor. The peas were fresh. None of us could figure out what was in the green puree--didn't quite taste like green olive, unless maybe only lightly brined/marinated--but it was delicious. We probably should have asked for more bread (don't know if they would have charged us; if so, it would have been too bad, since the bread with the ham was mediocre) to wipe up the remaining sauces, which were more than we shared and were starting to run together on our individual plates.

I do think for completeness   that the meconium was blitzed

in a Vitamix. High end.  20 % off at BB$B

just saying.   its  just not that smooth   'Organically"  in my experience.

"others" have suggested its 'saltiness'  I would not Know.

thats Pre-blitz   

just saying.

and Yar.  its below the cords .... if your are lucky!

:huh:

then there is the problem of Twins.    

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)