• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dehydrating in an Oven

Judy Wilson

Has anyone tried dehydrating in their oven? Over on eGullet, Maxime Bilet mentioned that you should calibrate it first, because you need a really, really low temperature:

"The most important thing is to calculate just how low your oven really goes (and not just how low it says it goes). You don‚’t want your oven to get above 80 °C / 176 °F to 90 °C / 194 °F."

Has anyone been able to get their oven to go this low?

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my home oven will go as low as 60c and is pretty good at maintaining temp. although the dial only goes to a minimum of 100c, i dont really use the oven thermostat anyway. i keep an oven thermometer in the bottom-centre of my oven and allow an hour extra prep time to fiddle with the temperature dial until the oven holds the temp i want.

I did try to get 55c, but it seems my oven wont get out of bed for less then 60 sf-laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a food dehydrator (not the Excalibur, as I wish I had) and although it does a fine job, it's shaped like a cylinder which makes it a pain to arrange foods.

The top of the dehydrator is detachable and contains the fan, heating element and thermostat. I place this part on the top rack of my oven, then put my food on a wire rack on a sheet pan on the oven rack below and close the door. It performs beautifully :-)

Scott Heimendinger

Director of Applied Research for Modernist Cuisine