• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ninja Blenders

Shel_B

A Ninja blender is being considered to replace an old, small unit that was recently been recycled.

I don't need something that will crush ice, nor one that will make soup with its supersonic rotating blades.  I do want a good capacity (close to, or even above) two quarts, either standard or with an added large capacity container.  Durability is of importance, of course.  This is the model I'm considering:  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/ninja-reg-nj600-professional-blender/3239578

Any comments on this blender, other Ninja blenders, or other blenders that may fit my requirements?  Thanks!

... Shel

I use this same blender in my (restaurant) kitchen; it is the second one we have gone through. Overall they work reasonably well; not a vitamix by any means but way better than most standard blenders you come across. Some advice: always wash it by hand; I believe the reason our first one wore out so quick was that it was being sent through the dish machine. It seems to me that the pitcher itself isn't especially durable but the ninja website sells replacement parts for reasonable prices.

• Like 1

I used the Ninja Blender for a few months & was pleased, but the suddenly lid broke so I could not use a blender. I have been trying to replace the lid for three months to which it has been on back order. I will not buy another!!! 

BioChef - An industry leader in high quality health products.

------ Durability is of importance, of course.  This is the model I'm considering:  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/ninja-reg-nj600-professional-blender/3239578

Any comments on this blender, other Ninja blenders, or other blenders that may fit my requirements?  Thanks!

A blender is an extremely simple machine. It has no gears and no belts to break and no heating elements to get burnt out. It has only one moving part, i.e. blade assembly direct driven by the rotor.

There is only one thing to considered, they are mostly high speed universal brushed motors. If you take the time, Google "proper seating of carbon brushes for universal motors", the motor can last a lot longer.

Universal motor needs to rotate at high speed to have its built-in turbine blades ventilate the field coils. So don't stall the rotor, or it can fry quickly.

Shel B, go find one that you can check out first. The Ninja Blender has the sharpest blades than all other blenders, which can be dangerous if you are not careful.

dcarch

consider Breville.  its twice the cost.   I love mine  I might be more than you are looking for :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-reg-hemisphere-control-blender/1018917262?Keyword=breville+blender

make sure you understand how tall this is should you consider it.

Yes, the Breville is on the short list as well.  Based on reviews and comments about the Ninja, it's dropped a few notches on my list.

What about this one:  http://video.bedbathandbeyond.com/v/1546/die-cast-hemisphere-blender-by-breville-blenders/  although it is a bit more than I want to spend.

... Shel

If you're thinking about spending that kind of money, check out the Waring Xtreme series of blenders. They're on a par with the Vitamix but are much cheaper.

I'd rather not spend that kind of money ... never heard of the Waring Xtreme, but I did check into it.  Looks like a nice machine from what I saw.

... Shel

go to BB and look at both Breville's   you will be able to tell if 50 % more Bucks, gives you > 50 % more bang

Test Kitchen demo's the 199, cant recall if they demo'd the 299. the 199 was there choice and Ive been happy with mine.

25 % more power on the 299.  etc etc

----------

25 % more power on the 299.  etc etc

Power is good, but power is not the whole story. A motor can have a 1000 HP, but rotates at 10 RPM.

It is power + RPM.

But power + RPM is not the whole story.

What really chops food up is the different speed of the blades and the food particles. If the blades go at the same speed as the food, even the blades rotate at 10000000 RPM, there will be no chopping of the food at all.

Power, RPM (not many blenders give you RPM information) and turbulence creates based on the jar design (that's why many jars are square), give you the performance of a blender's capabilities.

dcarch 

• 3 weeks later...