• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No wine sauce for beef tenderloin?

FeChef

Due to the weather, I cant get new wine for a sauce. Also my area is in a state of emergency so local grocery is closed. I know i should have planned ahead, but I actually thought i had a bottle of marsala and red wine in the cabinet. Turns out all I have is 3/4 of a bottle of Chianti that has been in the fridge for probably a month. I had used a cup of it for a bolognese and put the cap back on and stuck it in the fridge.

Would it still work for a wine sauce reduction, if not why? Would it make the sauce sour? Could it be salvaged with sugar?

And also, if using the wine is not feasible, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I dont have mushrooms, so thats out.

I do have golden raisins,pink lady apples,apple cider. But those ingredients i usually use for a sauce for pork.

Help

If the chianti tastes ok it ought to be OK.

I keep those airplane-sized bottles of wine in the cabinet for just such situations. Very little chance I'll drink them, but they cook just fine. And they are about a cup, so just right for most recipes. And I don't have to open a new bottle of something drinkable.

• Like 1

If the chianti tastes ok it ought to be OK.

I keep those airplane-sized bottles of wine in the cabinet for just such situations. Very little chance I'll drink them, but they cook just fine. And they are about a cup, so just right for most recipes. And I don't have to open a new bottle of something drinkable.

I have never tasted Chianti by itself, so honestly i dont know what it "should" taste like. The Bolognese was excellent though. Wine for drinking i prefer sweet pink wines like Catawaba, or sweet red lambrusco. I know there cheap, but its what i like to drink.