• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Another question. When baking in a metal pan (regular, not a non-stick), is this a bad idea to cut in the pan? It leaves marks obviously; I don’t care so much about the esthetics, I just want to make sure it doesn’t affect their longevity etc. 

I make recipes for parties that call for a 1/2 sheet plan and it would be challenging to take the pie out before cutting, hence the question. I am considering lining them with parchment but wanted to hear other people’s thoughts. 

My pizza cutter has both a metal and plastic blade. When cutting pizza on the aluminum pan, I use the metal blade (chewy pizza crust). When cutting pie dough on a coated 1/4 sheet pan, I use plastic blade. Makes sense to put parchment paper down first.

TdeV

TdeV

1 hour ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Another question. When baking in a metal pan (regular, not a non-stick), is this a bad idea to cut in the pan? It leaves marks obviously; I don’t care so much about the esthetics, I just want to make sure it doesn’t affect their longevity etc. 

I make recipes for parties that call for a 1/2 sheet plan and it would be challenging to take the pie out before cutting, hence the question. I am considering lining them with parchment but wanted to hear other people’s thoughts. 

My pizza cutter has both a metal and plastic blade. When cutting pizza on the aluminum pan, I use the metal blade (pizza crust). When cutting pie dough on a coated 1/4 sheet pan, I use plastic blade. Makes sense to put parchment paper down first.