• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Arey

Arey

5 hours ago, DianaB said:

@Okanagancook

Of course recipes might be entirely different elsewhere.  I had never heard of Mexican chorizo until reading this thread so it is entirely possible that sausages carrying French names are in no way comparable to the product one might find in France. 

What I wanted to try was the andouille as made by the descendants of French citizens who migrated to Eastern maritime Canada(Acadia) several centuries ago and were then expelled by the British late in the 18th century, and ended up in what is now Southern Louisiana. In other words a French type sausage as made by people who are thousands of miles and many generations removed from France.

So what do I do? I buy it at a Cape May NJ grocery run by people of German stock who are known for their kielbasa.  Quel andouille !

Maybe I should mail order it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Arey

Arey

5 hours ago, DianaB said:

@Okanagancook

Of course recipes might be entirely different elsewhere.  I had never heard of Mexican chorizo until reading this thread so it is entirely possible that sausages carrying French names are in no way comparable to the product one might find in France. 

What I wanted to try was the andouille as made by the descendants of French citizens who migrated to Eastern maritime Canada(Acadia) several centuries ago and were then expelled by the British late in the 18th century, and ended up in what is now Southern Louisiana. In other words a French type sausage as made by people who are thousands of miles and many generations removed from France.

So what do I do? I buy it at a Cape May NJ grocery run by people of German stock who are known for their kielbasa. 

Maybe I should mail order it. Anyone have any suggestions?