• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I cook a topside of beef sous vide ?

MikeK

Instead of cooking my Sunday roast beef (topside of beef) in the oven, could i cook it sous vide ? I have a sousvide demi which has a 9 litre capacity. If i wanted to cook a 1.5 to 2kG piece of beef which is obviously quite thick, has anyone done it ? I thoiught it might be a good idea as i could have it all very nicely medium rare, and then just sear it. But if it is possible, how long do i have to cook it for ?

The question is not just for beef, i would also like to cook leg of lamb (I would have to remove the bone as it would be to big) or other big pieces of meat

Strangely enough I cooked a 1.7kg beer fed topside of dexter beef in my SVS last weekend, 54.5 celcius for about 54 hours, not sure if you could get away with less time but it was perfect for me, finished with a blowtorch. I think anywhere between 48-72 hours will be fine, the 54 hours was just when I wanted to eat.

I cut it in to roughly two 850g portions but that was for convenience than thought, there are others more experienced than me who will tell you if you could do it in one piece. Just when you have cooked, use the juices in the bag to make the most fantastic gravy you will ever taste (I strain mine first).

I have done a leg of lamb in the SVS, but tbh I think I prefer oven to get the crispy fat on the outside (rack of lamb is perfect though).

Phew first post over and done with without making a complete fool of myself!!!!

If you post sear in a pan use that pan and deglaze with red wine add strained juices and beef stock/water, reduce until desired thickness (or use thickening agent, cornflour etc), season and thats it, If no post sear then the reduce red wine and add the rest.

• Like 1