• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless-steel tea kettle?

Martin Fisher

Can anyone recommend a good heavy-duty utilitarian-type stainless-steel tea kettle that has a large opening for easy cleaning, is in the $50-$75 price range and with a 3-4 quart capacity?

Thanks!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Oxo good grips uplift or pick me up models seem to be the ones available right now. I love the good grips kettle that I've got. Older model but similar.

• Like 1

Not a teakettle per se, but easily pressed into service for that. I like the Kuhn Rikon fourth burner pot for boiling tea water, simmering stock for risotto, boiling eggs or steaming vegetables. It rarely leaves my stovetop.

• Like 2

Not a teakettle per se, but easily pressed into service for that. I like the Kuhn Rikon fourth burner pot for boiling tea water, simmering stock for risotto, boiling eggs or steaming vegetables. It rarely leaves my stovetop.

Interesting....I stumbled upon that some time ago on Amazon and liked the idea of it, except for the glass lid...seems whenever I have something like that, Murphy's Law kicks in.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Interesting....I stumbled upon that some time ago on Amazon and liked the idea of it, except for the glass lid...seems whenever I have something like that, Murphy's Law kicks in.

I hear that. Also, no riveted handle. But at $25 I figured it was worth the risk and I ended up quite happy with it. And I hand wash it daily in an enameled cast iron sink just to tempt fate a bit further :-)

• Like 1

The Demeyere is good if you can't afford the Simplex - I have the gas stove one, also 30+ years, though mine is the copper.

Bed bath and Beyond has the 3-quart "autopour" pot

They have three of the latter at the senior center as they seem much easier for elderly folks, with weak grips to hold and pour from.

(They don't fill them completely full)

I have arthritis at the base of my right thumb and in my right wrist and this one is much easier to lift and hold than my regular kettles with the horizontal bar type handle. Just sayin' ...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 months later...

Glad to see some suggestions for tea kettles as I'm now in the market for one. A 2-quart capacity will suffice, although 3-quart is acceptable, and a large opening for filling is important, as is a lid that won't leak. The kettle has to be easily carryable from stove to table, i.e., no dainty handles. It must be of good quality stainless steel, and, finally, have some system for making noise when the water begins to boil. The kettle will be used on an electric range, should that matter. Price should be under $100.00, although around $50.00 would make me VERY happy. Quality is important.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel