• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teach me how to carve a pumpkin

Shel_B

I wish the videographer had stopped moving around so much, though, and wish he had pulled back to show views of the whole thing. I found the video very frustrating in that regard and therefore unrewarding. IMO.

PBBBBBT! Spoilsport! %)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Here is a bit of pumpkin carving talent from a fellow on my greeneggers forum.

That is amazing. Did he exhibit that? Or just have it on the front porch for the trickertreaters to admire and the squirrels to gnaw?

Not sure - but every year his pumpkins just get better and better!

Our neighbor brought over a medium-sized pumpkin for us to carve into a Jack O'lantern, and now Toots wants me to carve, carve, carve. I've never done that before. Any suggestions?

I'd like to know how it turned out, Shel_B. Did you take any photos? Got any tips for next year? Did you buy one of those "pumpkin carving sets"? How did they work? Would you recommend them?

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Kerry, that pumpkin is stunning.

Shel_B, what did you do with yours?

I made a mess of it, but learned a bit. Maybe next year, should the situation arise, I'll do better.

... Shel

I'd like to know how it turned out, Shel_B. Did you take any photos? Got any tips for next year? Did you buy one of those "pumpkin carving sets"? How did they work? Would you recommend them?

See post above ... I'm not the one to offer suggestions, certainly not at this point in my pumpkin carving career.

... Shel