• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning a Stove Top

Shel_B

Maybe the forum can offer some suggestions. I am looking for a cleaner for my stove top, including the metal inserts around the electric burners, although I can pretty easily remove them and give 'em a soak and a wash in the sink.

Ideally, I'd like a cleaner in a reusable spray bottle that offers refills, something organic or at least not too heavily laden with obnoxious chemicals, and something that should be easy to find at many stores, including hardware or appliance stores. It needn't be a supermarket item, just so that I don't have to order it online. Any suggestions?

... Shel

Here's the all-purpose cleaner formula I've used for years.....

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-all-purpose-cleaner-26191

It's cheap and works very well.

A gallon of it costs $1.00-$1.25

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I've not seen that brand around here, but then, I've not looked for a cleaner for several years. I like that it's plant based and not derived from petroleum products, and that it doesn't contain annoying and potentially dangerous chemicals. Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely look for the product.

... Shel

Great - I'm scheduled for a Target trip on Monday or Tuesday. Will look for the product. At first glance, the link you provided shows cleaners with scents, something I'm not too excited about.

... Shel

Great! I'm not averse to making my own - have done so with other products in the past. Seems like it's worth a try, especially since the ingredients are so common and available. My biggest problem would be getting a gallon milk (or other similar type) jug. We don't drink much milk.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Most local winemaking/beermaking shops should have one gallon glass growlers in stock.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Great! I'm not averse to making my own - have done so with other products in the past. Seems like it's worth a try, especially since the ingredients are so common and available. My biggest problem would be getting a gallon milk (or other similar type) jug. We don't drink much milk.

Shel, does the bottle HAVE to be glass? Pretty heavy to tote, seems like! Why not just buy a jug of water and reuse the plastic jug? Or, as noted before, mix up a smaller amount...

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Shel, does the bottle HAVE to be glass? Pretty heavy to tote, seems like! Why not just buy a jug of water and reuse the plastic jug? Or, as noted before, mix up a smaller amount...

The bottles needn't be glass. Why not buy a jug of water? Well, embarrassed to say, it never occurred to me. Maybe because I never buy jugs of water. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

... Shel