• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion overload

sabg

One of my very favorite soup recipes is Belgian Beef, Beer & Onion Stew - Carbonnade a La Flamande.

I particularly like Julia Child's recipe, but the soup is so good that it's hard to go wrong with anyone's. Some call for more onions than others and some call for different kinds of onions, but I've used almost every kind and in varied amounts depending upon how many onions I have and whether or not it's "clean out the veggie bin" time.

Also, this stew does not have any potatoes or other vegetables that don't freeze well, so it's one of the recipes that I make up big vats of and then freeze in smaller portions.

You can google Belgian Stew, or Cardonnade, or anything along those lines and get a myriad of recipes. Like I said, I love Julia Child's, but Craig Claiborne's in the original New York Times International Cookbook is also wonderful.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ok, my inquiring mind wants to know. How did you end up with 20 lbs of onions?

You can caramelize the onions until they are very soft and golden, and freeze in batches. They will be so good later as pizza topping, or add-ins for grilled cheese sandwiches or meat loaf. Also fine as a side, of course.

Alice Waters' recipe for Baked Sliced Onions is a variation on caramelization. Since it's done in the oven, it's easier. The onions hold their shape more, and come out chewy and sweet. I thought these onions tasted real good. Most of the recipe (the important part) is available on Googlebooks. Here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qQpyDNOD84sC&pg=PT767&dq=alice+waters+art+of+simple+food+baked+sliced+onions&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HEDPUfSXJKXgiwKk74DQCQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA
The cooked onions can be marinated in a vinaigrette for a side dish.

What kind of onions are they? If they're reds, check out Encebollado (link in Spanish), a delicious Ecuadorian stew/soup with seafood and boatloads of onions. The recipe linked uses far fewer onions than I do - I'd be using 3 or 4 where Laylita calls for half. It's also worthwhile to follow the link for the Curtido de Cebolla, which is a great salad topper and holds really well in the fridge provided you've got an airtight way to store it (otherwise it will make with the stinky!)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I go with onion soup. I can use up quite a lot in a batch. If you don't feel like cutting up the onions, just peel and cut in halves or quarters (depending on the size of the onions), put them in a slow cooker with some butter. Cook on slow for 8-10 hours. You'll get a lovely onion broth base for onion soup.

Edited by annachan (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto on the caramelized onion idea.

i make a batch of vadouvan once a year, and freeze the product in 1/4 cup pucks that i vac pak and freeze.

the main ingredient of this happens to be onions. I go through a 10 pound sack like it's nothing.

this isn't the vadouvan recipe, but you can process the onions in the same manner.

basically, rough chop the peeled onions, saute in batches in canola oil until just starting to brown (this reduced the volume significantly).

next, take the sauteed onions and spread them out over a sheet pan (it takes three sheet pans loaded about 1/2 inch thick to hold 10 pounds of onion i use a silpat in each pan).

roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 1-3 hours until dark dark brown. scrape up the brown goo, package and freeze. you will have reduced the volume of the onions 10 fold by now.

. the little brown pucks of caramelized onions can be added to soups, stews, sprinkled on pizzas, added to sauces for an intense flavor boost.